Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

How important is the shim between the bearings on the mini v wheels?

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by arxidon, Mar 1, 2017.

1. arxidon

arxidon New
    Builder

Hi,

I had a shipment of various parts and 5 of my 12 mini v wheel kits had the bearings already pressed into the wheels without the shim between the bearings. I'm guessing this happened when they were knocking around in the box during shipping. Is this a major issue or can I just ignore it and continue with my build?

2. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

it is a major issue, you'll have to remove a bearing from one side to add the shim. If you don't add it, the wheels won't turn well once tightened.

GrayUK and Mark Carew like this.
  3. arxidon

arxidon New
    Builder

Does anyone know a method to remove the bearing? I don't think I can push the bearings out because there is a lip in the middle of the wheel.

4. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

You're supposed to be able to push it out (I personally use a smaller bolt to push the bearings out)

5. Jonathon Duerig

Jonathon Duerig Journeyman
    Builder

You need to push out from the middle. Try to find something small that you can slip into the gap between the bearings sideways and then use it as a lever.

Mark Carew likes this.
  6. gazingm42

gazingm42 New
    Builder

1. I have a little tool that looks much like a dental tool. I am able to get it between the wheels and you slot rock it from two or three points and they come out easy.

7. CraigGordon

Builder

Easier way to remove bearing. Cut a 1/2 inch hole in 3/4 inch wood. Put the wheel with bearing "on" the hole. Use a small screwdriver. Insert the tip into the wheel between the two bearings and push on the inner edge till it pops out into the 1/2 inch hole it is resting on.

8. JohnOCFII

JohnOCFII New
    Builder