Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

ideas for a rep-strap printer for a newbie.

Discussion in '3D printers' started by wayword son, Apr 2, 2014.

1. wayword son

Builder

i'm a newbe, just starting my investigations of 3d printing. asking for free advice on a good bootstrap printer, i have been looking at 3d printing lately, in order to make kite airborne photography kits, (KAP) and custom kite fittings, as well as some ideas to work on entry level rep rap. on the cheep. i love the rostock variants, and. i want to use as much of what i have on hand, i don't have a machine shop i do have access to home quality woodshop tools,

(hand drills, circular saw. jig saw. drill press, table saw, hammer to beat it into submission, during configuration)

materials i have on hand, is about a dozen various sized panels of 3/4 premium grade solid maple 5 ply. a box of nema 17 and nema 23 stepper motors. salveged from new scientific equipment, that dident reach specs. several hardware stores close, as well as a tap plastic store. and access to ebay. all on the budget my wife sets (a budget that is realistically low, in keeping with my income). looking on ebay, 8mm rod and linear bearing looks good (that is least expensive)

i am willing to bargain some of the nema 17.o and 23 steppers for printed parts, hot end parts, ect. if anyone is interested i also have two nema 17, 3/8 square shaft one stage planetary gear with motor. not sure what the ratio on them is. also have a power supply, (xp power, hul200-14, 24-30v max, 150w, with cooling) and a ghast dual stage diaphragm vacuum pump, that sucks (that is it works), but is a macgyvered with a home lighting switch for off on and is in no way new, or clean. my location is in the california bay area (central contra costa county)

thank you
    wayword son

#1 wayword son, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    Mark Carew likes this.
  2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Welcome to OpenBuilds! We are all on budgets here, hacking together what we can when we can :D