Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

I've started at the beginning, where to next? Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by pomwah, Nov 7, 2015.

1. pomwah

pomwah New
    Builder

Greetings all. I'm new to all things CNC and have started at the beginning by buying a "C-Beam" hardware kit together with "Nema 23s".

I've followed Mark's tutorial and put it together, just waiting on the PSU and controller board.

The problem is: The CNC xPRO V2 Controller is not currently available, what electronics do I use to complete the build and test it out?

Additionally, is there a kit available to convert the "C-Beam" plate maker to use it as a 3D printer? Maybe a pointer to the blog/build of someone who has done this already.

As I say, I'm new to this and don't know enough yet to ask the right questions.

Any and all help appreciated

Cheers,
    James

Edit: Why am I doing this? I've recently retired and needed something to occupy and challenge me. To that end, I'm restoring a 1966 Triumph Spitfire, I intend using the CNC router to build some "bling" for the car. I've recently got into remote control flying and hope to use the router to build bits and pieces for that too.

My background is information systems/information technology but prior to moving into that area I was studying electronics

#1 pomwah, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

gShield and TinyG boards are suitable solutions. The C-beam Plate Maker is not well suited for use as a 3D printer as it lacks any appreciable height in the z-axis.

3. Brian Mahoney

Builder

I'm using a smoothieboard on a cbeam and like it so far. I'm new to CNC but enjoying the challenges.

4. pomwah

pomwah New
    Builder

Thank you gentlemen.

Rick: I understand that the C-Beam has a limited vertical range, part of my going for the C-Beam was to teach myself CNC and to investigate the multitudinous possibilities having a tool with fine "motor" control offers. If I can get 3D printing working effectively I will be able to move up to something that gives me a greater range of movement. Initially, I'll be using the router to make "flattish" parts for the Spitfire and the remote control quadcopters, planes, etc.

Cheers Brian I'll check the Smoothieboard out.

I have a laser cutter/engraver on order, I hope to combine both tools to good effect. I think I mentioned I needed something to do with my idle hands.

Cheers.

5. pomwah

pomwah New
    Builder

Had a look at the smoothieboard site. I guess this is exactly what I mean when I say I don't know enough to ask the right questions. I'm happy to play with the electronics, it holds no demons for me, but I don't know what to look for and I'd really rather get the router up and running properly before I start in on "improving" it. Fourth or fifth axis control, sounds good. Is it more complicated? Yes. Do I need it? No, I'll be happy getting it going in three axes, maybe in the future.

Similarly with 3D printing, do I want 4 or 5 extruder controls? I suspect not, I'd like to have one up and working before dealing with the complication of many.

It comes down to finding a controller that is tried and tested, in the computer game there's leading edge and there's bleeding edge, I'll take version 1.1 or after the first service pack has been released.