Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Just found an interesting project that may go to Kickstarter.

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by bobt, Sep 21, 2014.

1. bobt

bobt Well-Known
    Builder

This is a project for a 5 axis machine and they are just sharing there info just now BUT I bet we could make a better one from Marks parts and a lot cheaper.

Quoted from site:
    This machine uses Mach3 controller and we are developing a CAM script in Grasshopper that works on Rhino. The script is free and open source you can download current version (Its a very early versions and we will continue developing it and adding features as the project progresses) from 5axismaker.com/software// ( you need both Rhino3d and Grasshopper to run it ).

Kickstarter page:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2003668803/176246113?token=d39a4343

Very interesting.

Bob

2. Robert Hummel

Robert Hummel Custom Builder

I like the fact they use an RC Spindle ;)

3. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Looks interesting. I`m sure the guys here could design the axis gearbox.
    The idea is feasible from a CNC and probe point of view. Don`t know about the printer.
    Hope it works for them. I think that if they concentrated on a cheaper 5 axis CNC alone it may well do better.
    Still we can do that.

4. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

The 2-axis gearbox is very easy, it's just a couple of (low-backlash?) worm gear drives perpendicular to each other in a cast aluminium case.

I feel like the printing and probing would have been better left to lab hackers and instead worked on bringing desktop 5-axis to the masses for a sub-£2000/$3000 pricepoint. I think the market's there for cheap small-scale precision subtractive machining.

RC spindles: the page says it maxes at 1kW. If this means. say, 48V at 20A (or whatever you can squeeze through an ESC), would that have a performance parity with one of those dedicated 120V 800W spindles? Or is this really just a foam/plastic pre-vis tool?

I'm also thoroughly interested in the software toolchain they're thinking about. I opted not to go 5-axis with my latest ideas because I assumed the (cheap/free) software wouldn't be there, and I don't know how many years I am from figuring out machine control from first principles. Sounds like it's worth taking a look at.

5. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor Master
    Builder

That was my assumption, the kW rating seemed pretty dubious to me. Thanks for clarifying!

6. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The project has now gone live. It might be worth jumping in at the £50 level just for the software information it would provide.

7. Dave Millard

Builder

Interesting project.

I am not sure of the benefit of the completely multifunction machine for the price. The 5 axis mill on its own is pretty great.

It is not that important whether this does become a commercial success (except for those involved of course). But their thinking and technology does provide shoulders for others to stand on.

8. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Absolutely!! :thumbsup:

Marks shoulders have got loads and loads of footprints on them! :D :thumbsup::thumbsup:

He is a little bent over now, I've heard.

Gray

9. Dave Millard

Builder

;)