Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Laser on / off

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by GrandpawB, Jan 10, 2017.

1. GrandpawB

GrandpawB Veteran
    Builder

I am thinking of adding laser engraving capabilities to my OX CNC. I just want to engrave wood (for now) I am looking at the laser engravers on ebay. How is the laser configured to use Mach3 to turn on and off? I need to know specifically what to put where.in Mach3 to turn the lasers on and off. I'm using a Gecko G540 -4 stepper driver to drive my motors. http://www.cncrouterparts.com/gecko-g540-4-axis-stepper-driver-p-40.html) Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. JustinTime

JustinTime Master
    Builder

I had similar thought. I never tried it yet but there is an option to turn on and off the spindle, in Mach3. I think that could be used to turn on and off the laser, via a SSR (Solid State Relay).

3. GrandpawB

GrandpawB Veteran
    Builder

Could you show a diagram of how to wire a SSR up and configure Mach3? I'm a woodworker, not a electronics expert. Thanks for any help.

4. JustinTime

JustinTime Master
    Builder

There are literally millions if diagrams out there that show how to connect a relay/SSR (Solid State Relay).

I never used the option to turn on/off a spindle in Mach3 so unfortunately I can't give you the exact info on how to go about connecting it. I'm sure that if you google it, or look up at the Mach3 forum, you'll find the answer. Mach3 gives the command but the breakout board that you use will do the actual turning on and off.