Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

leveling doesn't stay level

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mel Ristau, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Mel Ristau

Builder

Not sure where this problem is coming from... I have two 1/2" layers of MDF (1200x1200mm) that I have screwed together and leveled. I shellac the leveled area so that my spray adhesive has better grip than raw MDF. Within 24 hours, different locations within a 24x24" area can vary by a whole millimeter.
    I'm cutting .025 aluminum sheet. So, that much variation is a problem. Is MDF easily effected by humidity change? Suggestions sincerely appreciated.

2. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

It most certainly is affected by humidity and barometric pressure. To say this is the cause of warpage is tough.
    I think the best way to approach this problem is to surface a spoilboard prior to your work. This will ensure that your work is parallel to your machines x and y.

Joe

3. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

MDF is terrible in humid areas, at least here in Florida..... I surface my spoilboards every few weeks due to expansion... When I do aluminum or plastics I have a spoilboard for my spoilboard, usually a piece of scrap MDF or ply slightly larger than the pieces i'm cutting, I surface it just prior to cutting. Much faster to surface a small piece than the entire spoilboard...

4. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The shellac may be the problem. Sealing just one side causes non-uniform moisture absorption which induces cupping.

5. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Different cte,s too. maybe install more screws.

6. Mel Ristau

Builder

Thanks guys! Will use your suggestions and update on my progress.