Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Limit switch positioning

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by markhester, Jan 15, 2015.

1. markhester

Builder

Has anyone got any images of where they have positioned their limit switch on an OX MAX or similar machine?
    I'm trying to figure out if it's best to position the switch so that the axis activates it by running over the top of it or whether it's ok to run straight into the switch.

2. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

My suggestion is that you position the switches in such a manner that they can not be damaged if the machine does ever, accidentally, run as far as it's mechanical stop. Some switches are tougher than others but it is something I think you should consider when mounting the switches.

Tweakie.

3. Motions

Motions Well-Known
    Builder

I have my switches mounted in the direct path of the X and Y axis. The way I have my Y rails setup, the switch IS the mechanical limit so I need the switch to stop it one way or another.
    I ran my SO2 for a year with the limit switches setup the same way and never had the machine run away one time. To me, it's cheaper to replace a limit switch than replace wheels, belts, frame... whatever it runs in to.