Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Linux users and Sketchup....

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Hedgehog, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Hedgehog

Hedgehog New
    Builder

Hi,
    Very ironic to join a open source group as a linux user and find the model I'm interested in is built with sketchup :)
    I'm relatively new to the 3D space hence this question..... is there a best practice/workaround to make SKP files accessible to Linux users?

Appreciate any hints, tips or incantations

Best wishes
    Hedgehog

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I run Sketchup8 on my Xubuntu machine all the time, under WINE.
    I had to tweak the OpenGL settings Fix - Google Sketchup 6 and Missing OpenGL

My Xubuntu is an older version (12?) so it will not run one of the newer Sketchup versions. This is ok for me since I do all the SketchUcam development in Sketchup8 anyway.

Newer versions like Sketchup 2016 will most likely run in the latest Linux/WINE versions though I suspect Sketchup2017 with its recent move to OpenGL2 will have problems. It won't even run on my 3 year old laptop with Windows8.1 because the video driver does not support OpenGL2 properly (and no there is no update for this custom Acer driver).

So, install WINE and install Sketchup 2016 and Google for solutions to any problems.

MaryD likes this.