Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Little newbie help please. New Laser cutter/engraver Project

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by Michael Illingby, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Michael Illingby

Builder

Hey there, just found the site a couple hours ago and looked through a bazillion posts but just cant find the exact info I need.

Here is what i want to do. I would like to create a XY table for my 2Watt laser. also, I may be interested in doing a CoreXY arrangement if possible, or maybe an HBot. I am however ok with simple Cartesian if thats all I can do with RAMPS.

Here is what I have;

RAMPS board 1.4 I believe, complete with Drivers and Arduino Mega 256
    several stepper motors that work with the RAMPS setup
    12V 20Amp switching power supply
    12v 2Watt laser with TTL 0-5v output control REAL 2000mw/2w 445nm 450nm Focusable blue Laser Module diode High Power laser Engraving TT L DIY CNC Adjust Free glasses-in Laser Equipment Parts from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
    M2 Belts and gears and such for attaching to steppers
    bearings and such
    8mm linear bearings and rods or various lengths

I would love to get started with what I have so far, by that I mean use the above hardware. I think from what I've read so far, Inkcscape and the JR Photonics plugin are a good start when coupled with universal g code sender.
    I have built 3d printers in the past, working on a Delta as time permits, but I want to get this laser going.

What software should I put on the Arduino?
    Is there a guide to do what I'm trying to do? (I can't be the first as most people converting a 3D Printer will be in the same boat)
    Will the RAMPS work?
    Can it control laser output via the TTL input on my driver?

I know that a lot of the stuff I listed does not pertain to this question, i'm just putting it all out there in case you think it might be useful .

Thanks for taking the time to read and help me, you have no idea how much I appreciate the time someone takes to help a stranger. :)

Looking forward to many more posts with like minded people, hope to hear some replies soon.

PS, I hope to start building this weekend...

Michael Illingby
    Vernon BC Canada
    [email protected]

2. Michael Illingby

Builder

Forgot to mention that I also have the Ramps LCD with the sd card thing on the back.

Is anyone reading this? is this thing on? lol

3. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I wonder if the new LaserWeb software @openhardwarecoza (Peter) has been working on may do the tick
    You can check out the Resource here - LaserWeb