Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Looking for 550-560 motor size as main spindle

Discussion in 'Motors' started by AlexC, Jul 31, 2015.

1. AlexC

AlexC New
    Builder

Hi, i am working on perfecting this build
    http://www.openbuilds.com/threads/lil-cnc-rework-hello-world-etch-video.2069/#post-18449

But I have been having a hard time finding the perfect 550 can size motor due to one issue they seem to all have, and I am not even sure what to call the problem so let me try to explain,.

CNCMotorOptions_IMG_5515_WebRez.jpg

It seems that most of them have what iv been calling "Axial play" essentially if the motor is mounted vertical, the motor shaft has a little bit of play on the vertical axis making plunge depth a little sloppy (-/+ ~0.5mm) iv found one good motor that is can size 380 but is a little under powered for what i am trying to do.

Wondering if anyone has a source for a solid motor in the 550 can size (can be a little bigger, or a little smaller) but it does need to have a 1/8 shaft and stats around the following,. 12v, 12,000rpm, ~2-5Amps no load.

Iv even ordered a few brushless motors for testing but so far they all have that "axial play",.. getting tiered of watching the pile of motors that wont work grow, so figured id ask. Thanks!

2. AlexC

AlexC New
    Builder

Googled it and didn't find anything about replacing the entire 3.175mm (1/8) shaft. and the problem I am having is not in the collet anyway.

But that got me thinking about modding the motor itself to get rid of the slop,..

On the brushed 550 can sized motor, i used a long neck socket and a hammer to bend the face of the motor inward removing the motor shaft slop.
    This of course took a few tries, and i did lock the shaft a few times and had to re adjust, but after a few minuets of careful hammering all slop is gone, and motor is still going at its original no load amperage, so i don't think iv added to much bushing friction. (an arbor press would have been a better option)
    IMG_5787_Web.jpg
    Its not pretty but it seems to be working.

On one of my more promising brushless motors i took it apart and added a small washer to remove the axial play/slop. that seems to be working as well,..