Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Mark, need input

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by FredP, Jan 20, 2014.

1. FredP

FredP Rebel without a clue
    Builder

First off Id like to say WOW, nice work Mark, I can see u put a lot of effort into this site & have done an outstanding job, Im very impressed. Be a shame not to try and build something after u put in all that time making the Sketchup files for us.
    This is a future project, I plan to build me a Routy first, then use it to help build the special plates Ill need for a MK1 replacement.
    Hardest part of this is the rollers, after all the work u did with the Phlat machines what did u decide was the best way to go for rollers? So far I plan to make a drive roller from PVC very similar to how u did the MK1, then use standard conveyor type rollers for pressure, any advice u can give me on this build is much appreciated, skethup file is included-

I want the machine to be as compact as possible, it will only be used to cut DTFB, so I only need a 20" cutting width, at first I was going with an overhead gantry, but since it will only be used for DTFB, and I want it to be as small as possible do you think Ill regret doing it this way? Myfoamcutter-20-1.jpg Myfoamcutter-20-2.jpg Myfoamcutter-20-3.jpg Myfoamcutter-20-1.jpg Myfoamcutter-20-2.jpg Myfoamcutter-20-3.jpg Myfoamcutter-20-4.jpg

Fred

Attached Files:

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Thank you for your kind words my friend, we hope that OpenBuilds will continue to grow into the place to share machine designs :)
    About your build, this is great @FredP ! I want to build on right now :D
    We also used PVC for the original drive roller as well as the gear reduction, it's a necessity to gain the toque needed to move the material. So I would say all looks good there. We used heavy black iron gas pipe for the pressure rollers. To do it again i would make the pressure adjustable on both sides this would give a little more bite when needed as well as help dial in skewing issues on materials that are not perfectly even from side to side.
    Speaking of skewing, having a guide for the material to ride against is also a big help this way it cannot skew being trapped between the guides.One problem with that is that the material must be cut nice an even for it to work properly, though most foams and lite plays already are so thats good.
    Hope this was something of a help and once the Phlatprinter plans and parts list are up that should help as well.
    We look forward to your build and will be following along to see its first steps! keep up the good work look fantastic so far.

3. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known
    Builder

I'm also interested in the phlatprinter as a mod to the OX. I didn't realize you can just use PVC as the roller. I just tore down an old HP Laserjet and the rollers were all some kind of rubber which is really grippy. I wonder if u can 3D print using some newer filaments to make rollers and then use a small precision rod.