Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Mount and Vacuum Assembly for 80mm Spindles.

Discussion in 'Share Parts' started by JJPowelly, Feb 23, 2016.

1. JJPowelly

JJPowelly New
    Builder

This is a mount and vacuum assembly for an 80mm 1.5kw water cooled spindle I designed to throw into my C-beam build... It works pretty well, it's very bulky and strong with 8 bolt down points to the linear driving plate on the lead screw and 6 clamping screws to hold the spindle in place... There is also a two piece vacuum attachment option that mounts to the side...

This set-up will work on the stock C-Beam, however, I plan on rebuilding mine to add more rigidity by doubling up the linear motion assemblies on each axis - but that's in the future... The motors still drive and hold well so this will do for now...

For extra strength and durability, I printed it in Poly Carbonate... But ABS should be able to handle it... Just print it solid if you can...

All most is M5 screws (same that come with the machine kit) only two screws where the vacuum nozzle attaches to the vacuum connector are M4... Sizes can vary, but the minimum length is 30mm for the M5s... and 10mm for the M4s... You will also need 6 M5 Tee-nuts that are used to better tighten the 6 screws between clamping the back mount and front mount together...

Just so you know, to safe space on the overall profile, some of the screw holes for mounting are in tricky locations (especially on the vacuum connector)... You're going to need a bit of patience tightening them down due to the fact that you don't have much turn before you have to reposition the bit on the screw head. I suggest using a low profile ratchet if you have one.

These guys do take a while to print... About 12-15 hours for the back mount... 8-9 hours for the front mount... and 6-7 hours for the vacuum assembly... This will take a weekend to print and assemble

Here's the Thingiverse page for the files
    80mm Spindle Mount and Vacuum Assembly Openbuilds C-Beam by jjpowelly

DSCN1337.JPG DSCN1338.JPG DSCN1336.JPG DSCN1335.JPG DSCN1339.JPG DSCN1340.JPG

future_cncist, gianakop and Teflon4 like this.
  2. Teflon4

Teflon4 Well-Known
    Builder

That's a great mount (and I too like the pictures).

I thought I was taxing the X and Z with a 65mm spindle but I think the 80mm is twice the weight. Do you have any problems with it? I'd love to get an 80mm for the larger collet.

3. JJPowelly

JJPowelly New
    Builder

Right now, not really... The motors are driving it just fine... But there is a little play on the X axis due to the spindle sitting out so far like a cantilever. I would really like to add more rigidity to the machine overall... I currently have a rough design that will double up the linear drives and motors on each axis and also add about 5 inches of Z work area... When I get around to it I'll get the parts and start putting it together - probably about a month or two.

Render1.JPG Render2.JPG Render3.JPG Render4.JPG Render5.JPG Render6.JPG

4. JJPowelly

JJPowelly New
    Builder

Right now, the machines is inside a full enclosure made out of extrusions...

DSCN1312.JPG