Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

My first CNC - The C-Beam Basic

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by crnrstndes, Sep 14, 2016.

1. crnrstndes

crnrstndes Well-Known
    Builder

crnrstndes published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. crnrstndes

crnrstndes Well-Known
    Builder

As an update to my previous post, when I unwrapped the c-beams one of them was damaged in transit. It was dented pretty bad and I couldn't see it through the shrink wrap. When I started the build I thought I could use the c-beam but it was actually bent. I decided to unwrap all the rails to inspect them closer and found that two 250mm v-slot rails were missing from the box. While I was familiar with the build through the videos I wasn't sure what parts were included in the build. Note here: It would have been nice to have a printed sheet with the parts listed but it is posted on the website!

I immediately contacted the distributor Maker Parts in Burlington Ontario and they got the damaged and missing parts replacements shipped the next business day. They have been extremely helpful and professional and if you are in Canada I would suggest looking into this company for all your Open Builds parts! www.makerparts.ca

Now it is back to work!!

GrayUK and snokid like this.
  3. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

It wasn't good to hear your kit didn't arrive in as good a condition as it should have, it was however, good to hear that you received such great service and response to your problem!
    Thanks for letting us all know it had a positive outcome.
    Maker Parts will benefit greatly from your positive remarks I'm sure.
    Well Done All. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Gray

crnrstndes likes this.
  4. crnrstndes

crnrstndes Well-Known
    Builder

So I anted to give an update, still haven't taken a picture....but I will! I have completed the build and I wanted to use the XPro to make things as simple as possible but it has been out of stock FOREVER!!! So I opted for the Adrino Uno board and shield (Chinese) I have the power supply as well. I had to flash the Uno, what a pain trying to get any info on that but thank you youtube!

So I downloaded and installed GRBL Panel, Inkscape, Sketchup, Sketchucam, etc. I ran a test plot and everything seemed okay except the Y Axis was going the wrong way so I switched the leads and everything was fine. The files that I got from Open Builds were .cnc and they run fine, nc and ngc don't, which are the files that Makercam and another g-code program generates. Every time I load a .nc file the file loads and when I hit play I get an error message to close the program. Perhaps it can only run .cnc??

My main purpose of the cnc is to inlay into my cutting boards, so I thought I could open files bmp in Inkscape, save as .svg, open the .svg in Makercam, generate the g-code and then cut out with GRBL Panel and so far the only files that work are the downloads from Open Builds in the .cnc format!

Anyone have any thoughts or a better work flow??

Thanks all!
    Steve B.

#4 crnrstndes, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  5. Darathy

Darathy New
    Builder

I dont know abaut makercam , But fusion 360 you can edit what extension it posts to in the config file for the post process .There is probably a simular way to configure makercam(sorry i am not familiar with it).

6. crnrstndes

crnrstndes Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks Darathy, I have Fusion and I will try it next, I appreciate the reply!