Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Need advice - 800X1500 (2x4 cutting area)

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Dave Landry, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Dave Landry

Builder

Good morning

I have ordered all the parts I need to build an OX (inspired by OOZNEST) except for my V-Slot Linear rail.

I would like to have a 2'X4' cutting area so my calculation tells me I need to build a 800mm X 1500mm

Is this realistic? What are some of the caveats of building an OX of this size? Any advice people can share?

I plan to cut mostly plywood stock, plastics but would like to be able to cut Aluminium as well - but the machine is being build for mostly sheet materials.

Another thing I would like to eventually do is mount a laser (yes... I said a frickin laser)

Feedback welcome

PS - I ordered my gear from Dany @ fuzztech, plates from Chris and Clockwerx

2. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

It should be fine to cut all of the above. Make sure that your X axis is the short one to reduce torsion at the minumum. Also, you may want to be able to adjust your eccentric spacers over time, I may suggest that you put them on the top of the Y axis plate (you'll find it very difficult to adjust from the bottom). (edit: sorry for that, your plates wont be designed to have the eccentric spacers on the top). You may want to add 2 idler pulleys on your X axis to add some belt contact on the GT2 pulley (only one in the picture, but you'll want a second one on the other side too) .

[​IMG]

#2 dddman, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    Dave Landry likes this.
  3. Dave Landry

Builder

Hey Dany

you recommend this for all the axis (X and Y)? If I understand - you replaced the lower Stepper bolts with a longer bolt and a idler wheels, right?

Why would my setup not allow me to have my eccentrics on top?

Thanks

Dave

4. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

Just for the X axis (your order will be shipped later today if you want me to add two idlers ;) ) it won't work with the Y axis as the motors are lower. If you want the eccentrics on top, you'll have to drill bigger holes on your plates.

Dave Landry likes this.
  5. Dave Landry

Builder

Thanks Dany

6. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Why are we putting eccentrics on top these days?

7. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

Try to adjust them from under the CNC ;)

GrayUK likes this.