Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Need Help With Tuning Motors on CNCox with mach3 and Gecko G540

Discussion in 'Controller Boards' started by Piper2000, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Piper2000

Piper2000 New
    Builder

I have built a CNC ox and I have been trying to tune the motors with Mach 3 and a Gecko G540 since March of this year (2016).

I can get the motors to move the axis but x and y axis will stall, switch direction for no apparent reason. The Z axis will only go down but not up. I am running Xp 32-bit. I have tried the onboard parallel port and a new PCI Parallel portwith the same problems recurring. I have tried two different computers. I am extremely frustrated below is where I stand currently.

Mach 3 with xml file downloaded for Gecko G540.

X,Y and A axis have Nema 23 with 20 tooth GT3 pulleys on GT3 belts
    Z Axis is a Nema 23 with a TR8x8 4start Acme thread screw attached via aluminum coupler

Nema 23s ar 1.8 degree step angle Rated at 2.8 A 2.5-2.6A per phase

Current Tunning for the Axis is below

X and Y 30 steps per mm velocity 1999.8 mm/min Acceleration 1000 mm/sec/sec
    Z 800 steps per mm, velocity 199.98 and Acceleration 10 mm/sec/sec.

No matter what I have tried the motors either stall or erratically move in one direction and change to a different direction by themselves. This is my first venture into CNC. The physicall build went well the electronics and tuning have been nothing but frustrating. I appreciate any insight or suggestions that anyone can provide.

Thank you,

PiperCNC

2. Anthony Bolgar

Anthony Bolgar Journeyman
    Builder

Are you running shielded cable to the stepper motors? Unshielded cable is prone to having issues with electrical noise, which can cause problems. Also, have you set the current on the drivers? I would remove the motors from the machine and make short shielded cables to connect them to the controller for testing and see if that fixes the problem.