Welcome to Our Community

Unlock hidden features. Sign Up for Free Today!

Nema 23 Lead/Acme Actuator Example Build

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Mark Carew, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Builder

kram242 published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Master
    Builder

Nice examples !! I choose to incorporate the Nema 23 motor with some Openrail mounted on 2080. With 10 wheels riding v-rail nice smooth action and very stiff !! I used the Openrail gantry plate for 2080 and had Chris Laidlaw do a custom router mount backplate to mount to a piece of 2080 bolted to the front of the gantry plate. Added a proximity switch limit at the top to handle homing duties.. Works out great, I might try using a belt reduction between the motor and screw just to see if it works any better adding some more torque.

Mark Carew likes this.
  3. peerless design

Builder

Nice build!! Is there any way you could put a load on the slide and test its position repeatability? I am looking for the most economical way to achieve positioning a 10 pound load with the slide in the vertical position. Be nice to know if it can hold better than .0005" repeatability or will there be to much backlash. I didnt happen to notice and anti-backlash nut in the video. Thanks in advance for your help!

4. peerless design

Builder

How much travel do you end up with on this slide?

5. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

The example should be around 172mm based on 280mm extrusion length - 88mm for the gantry plate - (2x) 7mm lock collars -(2x) bearings with about 3mm exposed but it can be whatever length you need (up to 872mm) based on the extrusion length selected.

6. peerless design

Builder

Rick thanks for your help!!

7. bdubu

bdubu New
    Builder

Great build Mark! Is there any way I could get the model in something other than Sketchup format? I'm wanting to start on a model of my future CNC build but the only Windows system I have access to is running Windows XP and the Sketchup viewer won't install onto XP. Thanks!

8. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

@bdubu, you can download the Sketchup Make 2014 version here which will work on XP.

Mark Carew likes this.
  9. bdubu

bdubu New
    Builder

@rick, thanks, I'll give that a try.

10. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Resident Builder Builder

This build has been updated with a new video/model showcasing the Nema 23 linear actuator as well as an X/Y actuator table Build to reflect the new 250mm V-Slot™ available size.
    Of course be cause of V-Slots modular nature, these system can be built larger as well (using longer V-Slot and Lead Screw) as independent from one another and please keep in mind that this is only an example to help inspire.
    This should be available as a bundle on the OpenBuilds Part Store soon.
    Hope this helps.
    Thank you
    Mark