Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

New Fusion 360 & C-Beam YouTube Series!

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by alex_b, Feb 9, 2017.

1. alex_b

alex_b Journeyman
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Hi everyone,

I'm super thrilled to finally be able to let you all know about a new Fusion 360 tutorial series I am doing on Youtube called "Wallet Making Wednesdays". I'll be focusing on the machining of fiber composites like G10 and carbon fiber as well as hardwoods like maple and walnut, specifically in the context of Openbuilds machines. (both C-Beam and OX)

I would love to have your feedback, suggestions and comments about anything in the video or related to using Fusion 360 with Openbuilds CNC's. Open source thinking has taken this community and their builds so far but I also think open sourcing the design and manufacturing processes behind the items the machines are producing can be just as important. Fusion 360 was a fairly big learning curve for me so I hope that if you are getting in the CAD/CAM world, this will add some value to your efforts! Thanks and if you like the first video please consider subscribing and checking our our upcoming newsletter! :thumbsup:

Ronin Energetics Newsletter

2. snokid

snokid Journeyman
    Builder

I like it, only thing I could suggest is shorter. My ADD I get bored easy and watching a 50 min video is just too long to pay attention!!!
    Maybe cut it into parts a series....

Bob

3. MaryD

MaryD OpenBuilds Team

38 minutes in cuts over to CNC cutting, just watch the machines turn and burn. Sweet!

4. alex_b

alex_b Journeyman

@snokid Thx Bob, agreed, a more condensed version would be definitely help those with short attention spans! :thumbsup: I'll keep that in mind for future parts.

5. evilc66

evilc66 Journeyman
    Builder

I'll definitely be following along. Like snokid said, shorter would be better to keep your attention.

I'm looking forward to trying Fusion360. I've been a long time Solidworks user, but the cost is astronomical when you look at what Fusion360 can do for free. Plus, I don't have to have nearly as beefy of a machine to run it.

6. alex_b

alex_b Journeyman

@evilc66 Thanks!:thumbsup: I came to the same conclusion about Solidworks and switched to Fusion a year ago, its awesome that it's free for hobbyists and small biz. SW just asks way to much from non-corporate new users not to mention the separate cam package cost you need for SW....When you boil it down Fusion is more or less HSMworks from Inventor so its great value. I made this vid so long basically to be a reference for people wanting to really dive into some of the more intimidating adaptive operations that you typically only see used in commercial CNC's.

And as a side note, Fusion 360's 2D & 3D Adaptive operations seem to be definitely oriented for vise users with commercial CNC's like Haas, etc. When you have a flat pallet of parts and you need to keep proper rigidity in the stock by the time you get to the final part, you really gotta be able to specifically tell the cam where to go. So that's where by really mincing up your part with 2D Contours you be super efficient with your stock, whereas adaptive tends to want to just clear everything out.

GrayUK and MaryD like this.
  7. alex_b

alex_b Journeyman

Next Video! All about micro milling and engraving strategies as well as 2D Pocket vs Adaptive.