Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

new to this and need some help please

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by seanzx7r, May 9, 2015.

1. seanzx7r

seanzx7r New
    Builder

hi every one im Sean and looking to build my first cnc machine and i am on a very tight budget and there is so many different machines out there and don't know where to start , so here i am , all in looking for is something that i can use on acrylic , and i am looking for about a3 size area .
    so any help you can give will help thanks

2. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Hi Sean,

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. So, what budget are we talking about (in USD)? I made this build some time ago and it's one of the cheapest builds I can think of, however, there are ways to reduce cost on this build but it's not recommended. Using an Arduino (mega328 with GRBL 0.9h) and a CNC Shield with DR8825 will be the cheapest option for the controller board. Check out the build here: http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/routy-gt2-300-bsx-cnc-router.1907/

The BOM needs an update so better to make yourself a new BOM from the SketchUp 2015 file provided with the build. Also, it's recommended to cut the V-slot on both sides of the gantry a little longer, about 20 mm, so you have more space for the Z-axis movement.

-Ronald

ps, you posted in the wrong section, no one would normally reply here...

3. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

As Ronald suggested - the thread has been moved here to the General section.

Tweakie.

4. seanzx7r

seanzx7r New
    Builder

oops sorry every one will repost in general

5. seanzx7r

seanzx7r New
    Builder

thank you

6. Ronald van Arkel

If you post in the wrong section it will delay a reply to your post, also the forum will be cluttered but a Moderator/Admin like Tweakie can take care of it ;). Now, what he can't take care of is something that is written on a "user profile" of a member and move that to the forum (he could delete it from my "user profile", so, I just quote it here if you don't mind:

"thanks for your message price wise im looking around $500-600 thats for every thing , been looking at lots and getting very confused which doesn't take a lot lol
    but ive seen prices at £550 and thats without power supplies and controller board, and a Spindle and thats without software as well .
    so i do need help
    thanks
    sean"

500 to 600USD Is possible but that doesn't include sipping and tax/import, but you can ask the OpenBuilds Parts Store if there is a reseller near to you (but those resellers might be expensive). I know that the Dutch buy directly from the USA, so do the Germans it seems. There is OpenBuilds Italy that seems to be overpriced, must be due to their import cost so they can't help it, and there is one in France that doesn't have a good reputation due to bad service and products. Be careful from who you buy as there are Chinese KNOCKOFFS (aarrgggg...!!!!) on the market, selling even on eBay (M&@()$!!!:blackeye:, and more AAAARRRGGG!!!! :banghead:)!

This week I'll release my Routy GT2 290 BSX router for the Dremel 3000 or 4000. It's in the price range you are looking for and ideal for students and starters. I'll let you know when I have the guide on the Mexican OpenBuilds website so you can run it trough Google Translate or so; Mostly it's images and part-numbers any way ;). With the part-number list you can make your own BoM and I can link you to the Arduino and Shield on eBay (will try UK).

-Ronald o_O

7. seanzx7r

seanzx7r New
    Builder

thank you Ronald for you help

8. Ronald van Arkel

I'm still working on the guide, but let me put up a picture so you can see how a low-cost CNC might look like (Routy GT2 BSX 290 V1.0):

imagen_y_42.png