Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Noisy Y axis

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Rendermandan, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Rendermandan

Rendermandan Well-Known
    Builder

I finally got my C-Beam machine up and running. After a short while during alignment/testing, I noticed a weird noise coming from my Y axis. The X and Z axis are smooth and "quite". The noise sounds like kind of like a squeak or binding maybe, hard to describe. So far, I have checked to make sure the base runs smooth on the rails. The lead screw is not to tight between the ends. The flexible coupler has space to move, and I have oiled the lead screw.

Could it be the anti-backlash block? I'm not really sure how to adjust it properly. I screwed in the grub screw until it touched the block, then added the nut to hold it in place. There was no backlash in axis so I thought I had it right. Is it possible this has moved and causing the noise?

Thanks!

2. Hunter Dunbar

Builder

I had the same issue.. did you find the problem?

3. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Squedking noise? Lubricate your leadscrews with NB Dry/ptfe lubricant. Do not use oil

4. Derek Reich

Builder

I also am experiencing some sqeaking/groaning kind of noise when the gantry is moving. I think it's coming from the X axis, but it could also be the Y. So I can just put some ptfe on the lead screw itself, or in the block that it screws through? I have some Boshield T8 here which is a dry lubricant, but it does not have ptfe, I think it's paraffin. Is there a brand you recommend?

5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

You do not want to use paraffin. I use Blaster Dry lube with teflon and it has worked well for me over the years.
    upload_2024-2-12_20-40-6.png

6. Peter Van Der Walt

Peter Van Der Walt OpenBuilds Team

7. Derek Reich

Builder

Thank you both! Your assistance and prompt replies to this forum are invaluable. Especially for a neophyte like me.

Peter Van Der Walt likes this.