Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Official CAD Data

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Helmi74, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Helmi74

Helmi74 New
    Builder

Hey guys,

Is there any source for official CAD data for open build parts? I wonder what I should use to plan my machine.

Thanks,
    Helmi

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

You may find what you need here OpenBuilds Parts | OpenBuilds

As for which system to use, use what you know/what you've got. Lacking that, most use Sketchup as it's free and fairly simple to get up and running but also fairly limited in scope. Fusion 360 is also free and far more fully featured but also has a more substantial learning curve. How deep you want to get into either is totally up to you.

Good luck with the build.

MaryD likes this.
  3. Helmi74

Helmi74 New
    Builder

Thanks,

for the CAD system I'm akready used to Fusion 360 n(early beta user) - I'd never touch SketchUp anymore ;-)

4. ChrisPhoto

Builder

With Fusion 360. Will this create the tool path and run the OX CNC with out any other programs.

5. Helmi74

Helmi74 New
    Builder

I don't know anything about "OX CNC" but Fusion360 does have quite a great CAM solution built in. If it works with your CNC depends on the electronic/software combination you are using. There needs to be something called a preprocessor for that. Fusion360 already does contain quite a lot preprocessors and is used by many hobbyists so there's a chance that it will work with your combination. If not, autodesk does also run camforums.autodesk.com where nice guys from autodesk help and assist in making the preprocessor run with your electronics/software. You should check that.

6. ChrisPhoto

Builder

Thanks for the reply.

7. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Fusion 360 will create the gcode from your designs. I have used it for several projects. You will need an interface with your CNC to run the gcode. I use GRBL Panel because I am using an arduino board with DQ542MA stepper drivers to control my CNC machine. There are several open source software packages besides GRBL panel if you are using an Arduino. Mach 3 is another option, but costs a lot of money. You also use different hardware.