Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

ooznest OX CNC Machine

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Ryan Lock, Apr 28, 2015.

1. kev20009

kev20009 New
    Builder

That's Ryan, So they are cut inside then, can screw them in just tight for hand, but was thinking could tap them that would make doing the nylon nuts up easy,
    Thanks again Ryan , If poss you get that order out today, Kev

2. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Yup, should be cut inside the path. You could just ream them with a 5mm drill.

Your order has already been packed :)

3. Tim P

Tim P New
    Builder

How are you guys connecting your stepper motors? I'm wondering if there is enough wire to reach the controller. I've already ordered some shielded 18/4 because I wanted some for of connector near each stepper.

4. kev20009

kev20009 New
    Builder

Well I got some motors last week and there was nearly 2mtrs of wire on them, But if your short you could put a conector on side of stepper, Kev

5. kev20009

kev20009 New
    Builder

Thanks Ryan. Kev

6. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

The motors with the kit come with 0.75m of wire. So it may just be enough for your size, depends where you place you controller.

7. Tim P

Tim P New
    Builder

Thanks, Ryan. That leads me to another question. I'm going to be running a 48v power supply and gecko g540 controller. I had planned on putting all my electronics in the back and put them in some sort of enclosure later on. Is there a better way of mounting them or a good central location to put them?

8. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

I would go with what makes sense to you. I mounted my cnc xPro on the x-axis 2040 extrusion, this meant all the motors are close to the controller but the PSU's aren't. If you mount the controller on the back, then the motor wires have to be longer, but the PSU's will be close to the controller. For me, i thought it would be a neater solution mounted on the x-axis, only two moving motor wires, compared to 4, but 2 power cables have to be run up the y-axis.

You can see some pics how i done it earlier in this thread.

9. Tim P

Tim P New
    Builder

That won't be an option for me because what I've read about the g540 is that the wires powering it don't need to be more than 18" due to inductance problems that can occur. If I mount it on the X as you did I'll have to put the power supply there as well. I'm not opposed to that because I really like your setup, I just don't know how to go about mounting everything up.

10. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

If that is the case, I would stick with having mounted along the back of the machine. If you have access to a 3d printer, i have made some mounts for 30x15mm cable chain for the x and y-axis which you could use.

What i did the first time, is just "prototype" the wiring of the machine, just to figure out how it all works, and what extra wires are needed. Then once you have got the machine working, you can then work on a much neater solution.

DazTheGas likes this.
  11. Arondite

Arondite New
    Builder

Great kit! I'll be placing an order in the next few days, what would you recommend for spindle wattage?

12. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Thanks! We use a 400w brushless spindle, and fine that sufficient, but you could go with a slightly higher wattage.

13. kev20009

kev20009 New
    Builder

hi ryan did you get my email about acme rod, and z plate, got the order done last night for you, thanks kev p.s can you check the couple joint is for nema 17, 5mm

#43 kev20009, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015
  14. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Yup email received. That coupler joint is for nema'23s

15. kev20009

kev20009 New
    Builder

thanks for reply ryan would you use all 23s or a 17 on z axes, if yes to 17 could you swap that coupling, thanks for this ryan, kev

16. Justin Dewoody

Builder

Hey Ryan...awesome looking kit! I just ordered one last night on your website. I'm excited about it! But I am BRAND SPANKIN' NEW to this whole CNC thing! I have the technical/mechanical aptitude to make this happen, but I'm going to need some advice. Please tell me what else I need to make this thing work. I think I need the following...please tell me if I am missing something...

-Spindle
    -CNC Controller board
    -Power Supply

Is that it? Do I need drivers for the motors? Or is that not necessary when using the Spark Concepts CNC xPRO Controller? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Also, when can I expect to receive my kit? Thanks a bunch!

Justin

17. Tim P

Tim P New
    Builder

Hi, Justin.
    I'm new to this as well but I'll take a stab at answering your questions based on what I've learned. It looks like the xpro does have drivers so it looks like that coupled with a spindle and atx power supply should do the trick.

My setup for this kit will be a 48v power supply with a gecko g540 and dewalt 611 router for my spindle. Hopefully that'll get me started until I can afford a spindle upgrade.

18. Justin Dewoody

Builder

Do I need a separate power supply for the CNC xPRO Controller and the spindle? Or do I use the same one for both? I don't mind spending the money, so what is a GREAT power supply for this?

19. Tim P

Tim P New
    Builder

I looked up a few 400w spindles and they require 48v to get the most out of them. You can use an atx power supply to run the controller and a 48v dc power supply for the spindle.

20. Justin Dewoody

Builder

Can anyone else weigh in on this? I want lots of input please.

21. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

On our kit we use NEMA23's all round, so i would recommend that.

Thanks for your order! Regarding the estimated shipping time, we have started putting together the first half of the pre-orders now. Yours will be put together in the second batch.

For what you need to complete the kit. You will need a Controller (If the xPro, this has the drivers built in), an ATX or DC 24V for the controller.

Then a spindle, you can either get a dewalt type router, or a Chinese Spindle. For the chinese spindles you will need a PSU and a Speed controller, you can usually buy them in bundles with Spindle/PSU/Speed Controller.

22. jajohnsen

jajohnsen New
    Builder

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie to cnc and cad/cam design, but would like to learn this. I'm most into hobby woodworking but will also want to make some parts in aluminum maybe upto 5mm tick.

I'm having difficult deciding in what size to order, the 1500x1000 would be nice but woundering if i should pick a smaller to learn on and then make a larger one later. Will a large vs a small one be less suitable for aluminum?

Also i like autodesk fusion 360 and think i'll concentrate on learning on this.

What would be a god controller and spindle to get?

Appreciate all help:)

23. Tim P

Tim P New
    Builder

I don't believe size has anything to do with the learning curve. The main thing to keep in mind is that the bigger you go the more flex you'll end up with unless you add more bracing. I think it mostly comes down to what size material you want to be able to cut and how big your wallet is. I plan to build this machine and use it to upgrade itself as time and money allow. As for the spindle and controller that is also a budget question. I decided to get the g540 controller because of the warranty, documentation, and support but I'm going cheap on the spindle by using a DeWalt 611 wood router as my spindle.

jajohnsen likes this.
  24. jajohnsen

jajohnsen New
    Builder

Thank you for your reply,
    The flex is one of my concern with choosing the size, will the 1500x1000 be to flexible in regards to cutting aluminum? With the ooznest design i don't see how i could add more bracing on the y axis.

As far as budget goes, I'm not to concerned. But at the same time i dont want to spend more than i need. G540 controller looks good , but i like the arduino based also for features as wireless and usb nettwork connections. Documentation and support is important. For spindle. I looked at the makita RT0700cx and that seemed like a good option, alternative would be a 400w spindle i think. Maybe the router is better for wood and aluminum.

25. kev20009

kev20009 New
    Builder

thanks ryan I have the acme colot for nema 23 please, thanks kev

26. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

jajohnsen

I think you may find the better plan of attack is to build a smaller machine to start with, this being cheaper and more rigid/stable than a big one. This would be far more ideal to work with aluminium, and then use it to make your plates for a bigger machine later. This could save you many hundreds of pounds/dollars in the near future. :thumbsup:
    The wider the machine gets the more flex is inherent in the gantry, and therefore the greater the need for bigger, heavier, stronger and expensive materials.
    Don't make the mistake of jumping in without having a good idea of knowing what you are going to do. It gets expensive that way!! :banghead:
    Anyway, have a read around the forum, there is loads of information to be gleaned from here.

Lots of people here to help you out. :thumbsup:

Gray

jajohnsen likes this.
  27. Justin Dewoody

Builder

Ryan, when do you expect the 2nd batch to be shipped out?

28. Justin Dewoody

Builder

And for the controller, is a 24v 15amp power supply going to be sufficient?

29. Tim P

Tim P New
    Builder

15a is more than enough if you're going with the supplied nema 23s in kit. Motors are rated at 2.8a each so that's 11.2a total then 2/3 of that. At 70% (allowing some cushion) that's 7.84a required.

30. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Hi, if you are looking to cut a lot of aluminium, then definitely the smaller the better. For a controller, i would recommend the cnc xPro, it has the stepper drivers built in, and is fairly easy to wire up. Also you can connect it to a raspberry pi, then run the machine wireless using chilipeppr.

For the router a RT0700cx or Dewalt 611 are popular choices.