Welcome to Our Community

Unlock hidden features. Sign Up for Free Today!

OpenBuilds Actuator Test Rig

Actuator Testing for real world results

1. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Resident Builder Builder

Mark Carew submitted a new resource:

OpenBuilds Actuator Test Rig - Actuator Testing for real world results

Read more about this resource...

Mike Piechowski and TerryOx like this.
  2. TerryOx

TerryOx Veteran
    Builder

Very good. Actual measurements of accuracy, repeatability, max force, and max speed for different actuators. How difficult would it be to include some Rack and Pinion measurements?
    On a somewhat related note, has anyone published the flex of various linear rails of common lengths?

Moag likes this.
  3. TerryOx

TerryOx Veteran
    Builder

For the more visually oriented among us (and you know who you are):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Evan F

Evan F Journeyman
    Builder

Nice graphs. I have to ask about the Nema 23 screws, are they ACME or ballscrew? If ballscrew, what diameter/pitch?

5. Serge E.

Serge E. Master
    Builder

Interesting. It would be interesting to see the test done with a double belt setup (one into the other). In theory, it should improve at least the repeatability of a single belt setup ...

Jestah likes this.
  6. Jestah

Jestah Veteran
    Builder

I would love to see that tested too as double belts made a huge difference in cut performance but hard data like yours would blow my mind!

7. Serge E.

Serge E. Master
    Builder

I'm not (currently) using the double belt setup having good results with the standard single belt. But as I progress with use of myOX, I'm thinking of extending the Y from 750mm (Vslot length) to at least 1000mm AND going to double belt. I have to stop making free signs ("practice" runs) first.

8. Jestah

Jestah Veteran
    Builder

If I can recommend only one upgrade to ANY ox/belt pulley user it would be to double belt it. It makes SUCH a HUGE difference that IMHO should be done on any length axis. The hardest part is finding a good quality double sided tape that can stick to both rubber and the rail. Too thick and you wont get the two belts under the wheels.