Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Openbuilds OX Capabilities

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by BDP, Jul 13, 2014.

1. BDP

BDP New
    Builder

Hi all,

I'm new here (and to the CNC game altogether) and while a lot of people seem to be building the OX, I haven't seen many finished. I've also seen a lot of parts being milled for the OX, but not by it.

Maybe people could post a picture of their completed OX along with some jobs they've produced with it?

A quick pros/cons list could be useful for anyone trying to get specifics to decide whether this is the tool for them. Things like what materials may be cut (I'm sure most would be keen to know if or how well aluminium can be cut for instance), whether you modified something to fix a problem you were encountering, 'spindle' selection and stepper motor torque requirements are all helpful.

Jay_r and mybuild14 like this.
  2. Jay_r

Jay_r New
    Builder

I'd like to see more too. Here's mine v-carving some AL, lightly. I'm taking baby steps.:nailbite: Forgot to add that Im running a gecko 540. 28oz steppers on the x and y. 89Oz on the Z. Chinese 1500 watt water cooled spindle.

#2 Jay_r, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  3. BDP

BDP New
    Builder

A reply! and all it took was 100+ views!

Thanks for the info and video jay!

How does the gantry cope with the weight of your stepper/spindle combo? Have you tried any cuts on aluminium with an endmill?

4. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder