Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OpenBuilds Parts in SketchUp

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Ronald van Arkel, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Ronald van Arkel

Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

Hello everyone,

I've basically finished all (except the 20t High Torque pulley) OpenBuilds Parts in SketchUp. They are detailed and circles are made out of 96 segments. The file-sizes should not be a problem for a modern computer. I've cleaned up the models and some parts have already center-points so aligning for the new comer to SketchUp should be easier. Also, holes for screws are kept the size of the screw, so for example an M5 hole will be 5mm in diameter.

This package still needs to be reviewed by the OpenBuilds staff, I just wanted to let you know what is coming before some of us start to draw parts too while they could have spent time with the family, if you know what I'm talking about ;).

File-size of the whole package is about 15~16MB. This package will be updated over time and feedback will be very, but very welcome!

For now just a spoiler:

upload_2016-4-7_0-6-22.png

upload_2016-4-7_0-7-22.png

upload_2016-4-7_0-14-24.png

upload_2016-4-7_0-15-31.png
    -Ronald

#1 Ronald van Arkel, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  2. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Ronald.
    I'm sorry, but I've only just realised how important, and impressive this work/collection is, that you have created! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    You have, and you are, doing an incredible job, for pretty much all of us who choose to use it. :D
    Many, many thanks. :thumbsup:
    Gray

3. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hey guys,
    Ronald has taken this project on and done absolutely amazing work with it!

A lot of time and effort has go into making these models the best they can be, so be sure to thank him for his work and contribution to the community.

As many of us know, SketchUp can be a bear at times to work with so having these pre-made, high quality models at the ready to bring into a Build is going to be a huge help.
    The plan is to add these to the OpenBuilds Parts Resources like we have for the STEP/IGES and Solid Works libraries using the same folder format and layout with a few part assemblies example actuators to help get Builds going.
    Having them in Resources will allow easy updates to the models as OpenBuilds grows its Parts.

The older SketchUp models and drawings will be removed to keep the list nice and neat :cool:

Again we can't thank Ronald enough for this great resource he has provided us all here at OpenBuilds
    We hope this will help to inspire many more Builds and we can't wait to see them! :thumbsup:

4. Kyo

Kyo Veteran

This is awesome!! Very well done..

5. Ryan Lock

Ryan Lock Veteran
    Builder

Wow. Great work! This is going to be such a help for so many people.

6. TerryOx

TerryOx Well-Known
    Builder

It is a thing of great beauty and precision.

Thank you.

7. Ronald van Arkel

Thank you all for the nice words!:oops:

It was a lot of work to get them native drawn in SketchUp, but it is possible. Here are the new eccentric spacers. All components are measured and dimensions are taken from an average of parts.

upload_2016-4-7_23-37-38.png

I've should have installed solid inspector before I started this project, that would have saved some time. I'm still learning and have been using SketchUp for 14 months now. As you can see, solid inspector has found zero problems. Now I'll add the center-points / text, and save them one by one.

Next will be the Acme rod, and for fun I'll make a real one just to see how large the file will be when you have one of 1000mm (+30/35mm) :D. Sure it will be a simple version and I might make them with just a triangle groove in them but we'll see...

-Ronald o_O

#7 Ronald van Arkel, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    Kyo, Mark Carew and GrayUK like this.
  8. Ronald van Arkel

So, the next step, real Acme rods:

upload_2016-4-8_22-55-37.png

File size for the 1040mm rod is 404kb, number of segments in circles is 96. Sure, you will need a dual core Celeron Gen. 2 (LGA1155) @ 2GHz to work with. Now idea how this will do on Wine for Linux, but it should be okay. The rods are build up of 2mm segments so it should be easy to cut the object to length if needed (custom builds).

How about I drill out the Acme blocks as well? ;)

-Ronald

Kyo and GrayUK like this.
  9. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

Looks awesome, but...mine are 5 start screws. ;)

10. Ronald van Arkel

Thank you, lot's of work to get it like I wanted, took me about 6 hours to get there (had to learn :D). We don't sell 5 start screws on OpenBuilds, are those with a brass nut?

-Ronald

11. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I bought a block of delrin and made a tap out of a leftover piece of the acme screw. I made a few and it appears to have worked. If not, I will order from dumpstrcnc.