Welcome to Our Community

Unlock hidden features. Sign Up for Free Today!

OpenXY

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Keith Davis, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Master
    Builder

Keith Davis published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Lukas K

Lukas K New
    Builder

You could extend the back frame/compartment a bit and throw your electronics/filament etc. in there as well. Very nice clean design!

3. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Master
    Builder

Thanks Lucas.

Another 50mm deep and I can fit the PSU, controller and a spool back there with the bowden driver above the spool. But, another 70mm and I can fit a second spool, second bowden driver, and use a Chimera hot end for dual extrusion. I think I'll probably produce it the 70mm deeper so I can convert from single to dual extrusion on the same unit.

A nice thing about this overall fixed bed design is the bed can sit only 10mm off the bottom, reducing overall height. Which also eliminates room for putting the PSU and controller below the bed as is common on X axis bed designs.

MaryD likes this.
  4. Don Juggler

Builder

This is a really nice design. You can probably make the Z axis less likely to skip by putting an idler between the threaded rods. See picture below with and without the table.

Z-Axis.png
    Z-Axis2.png

5. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Master
    Builder

Hi Don

I've done a bit more design work on this that incorporates points you and Lukas have made.

[​IMG]

This type of design (fixed bed) is rather expensive to build so I'm thinking that the only way to commercialize it would be to add acrylic panels to make it a full boxed design. That would be purely cosmetic because the OpenBuilds wheels makes it already far quieter than a fully boxed design like Ultimaker. I'm still trying to talk myself into building it, or any fixed bed with a coreXY, due to the expense.

Lukas K likes this.
  6. Carl Feniak

Carl Feniak Master
    Builder

7. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Master
    Builder

Thanks Carl. I would assume that is probably where I got my copy of the Unnamed+mechanism.jpg.

8. saltygator

Builder

Ok Keith, let's build this thing. I have been searching for a design for my first build and this one has everything i want. I have a CTC 3d and I'm looking to move up.

9. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Master
    Builder

Afraid you'll have to go on without me for now. Next few months I'm starting up a new business (has nothing to do with any of this) and It's probably going to sap all my creativity.

10. saltygator

Builder

I'm new here. Is it ok if I grab your initial work and post it as the beginning of my build? Of course, giving you credit.

11. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Master
    Builder

Absolutely! Use any part you want. Just list my build in your Inspired By section

And, I like the OpenXY name for that Unnamed-mechanism it uses. So, if you want to continue calling this lay-out OpenXY (as opposed to the CoreXY design) feel free to do so.

MaryD likes this.
  12. MaryD

MaryD Master
    Staff Member Moderator

Keith, Good luck on your new venture. Hope it doesn't take you away from us for too long!

13. Keith Davis

Keith Davis Master
    Builder

Mary, if it works the way we fantasize it will, I wont be back, I'll be in Jamaica. On the other hand.....

One of the reasons for taking time off is talk of 25 to 50% tariffs on Chinese imports has caused some Chinese 3d printer companies to drop prices just in their US sales. That's a "dumping" aimed at running US manufacturers out of business before those tariffs hit them. I can hibernate cheaper than sell at a loss until they get those tariffs.

Today I'm finishing up a 15 page, 100 image tutorial for DIY building a TrueUp Glide. I expect to rework the TrueUp's build here this weekend with links to that tutorial.

MaryD likes this.