Welcome to Our Community

Unlock hidden features. Sign Up for Free Today!

Optical Limit + Home Switches

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by The Dude, Feb 8, 2014.

1. The Dude

The Dude Veteran
    Builder

The Dude published a new build:

Read more about this build...

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Resident Builder Builder

Right on time Dude! Nice job thank you for this build

3. Dave M

Dave M Well-Known
    Builder

Won't dust from cutting wood,foam, get in the sensors? Just wondering.

4. The Dude

The Dude Veteran
    Builder

It all depends how/where you mount them. They come with a protective sleeve which has a very tiny slit for the light to pass through. If the slit gets covered in dust it will trip the switch. All my switches are mounted in a way that dust can't settle on them. If a piece of debris flies through and trips it then I can just blow it off with air and hit resume.

In the future I plan to make a vaccuum cleaner hose attachment to the spindle which will suck up debris while cutting so this won't be a problem for me going forward.

5. JustinTime

JustinTime Master
    Builder

I have only used Mach3, so what I say is only verified for it. You can not just hit resume. If you do, most of the time, you'll ruin your part. Mach will not resume in the same spot where it stopped. It will resume at the next line. It will not retract to safe height and then lower to cutting height. It will just try to travel, at high speed, to the new spot. The bit will gouge your work and/or brake. Don't ask me how I know this! [​IMG]

6. Robert Hummel

Robert Hummel Custom Builder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

If you like create a single sided pcb layout in express pcb and upload the file
    I will etch you some boards free and ship

7. Yves Gauvreau

Builder

Just in case you still look here ounce in a while, you mention the magic word, "precision". If you or someone else knows the answer, I'd like to know how precise is precise for this kind of sensor? I'd like to know if the aperture of the sensor as an effect on precision? Does someone know how repeatable these thing are?

Anyone thought of using this type of sensor for setting Z zero?

Thanks,
    Yves