Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Outside the Box. A Saw Bench????

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by GrayUK, Jun 21, 2014.

1. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Just had a thought! Now, I have a saw bench that I use frequently for various materials, some quite thick stuff, but generally nothing more than 12mm to 18mm.
    So...... How about, if you were to mount a small plunge saw, (suitably adapted, ie, removed sole plate and the auto covering of the blade) like this:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7112898.htm ,
    onto a CNC with a good sized bed? Voila! A CHEAP saw table complete with programmable settings. ie. Width, depth and even length of cut. (Probably available somewhere at an astronomical price) Tweakie, could Mach3 cope with something like this??
    Unlike a table saw, you don't need to do the cut in one go, but many exact passes, thereby reducing the stress to the X axis and gantry. We know we can beef up the necessary points of weakness. Plus, in general, we are not expecting it to cut on all axis's, therefore only need to really beef up just the one axis.
    Probably a fixed Zero X, Zero Y axis against a fence on the left.
    The Z plate would probably need to be parallel with the Y axis, instead of the X axis as is the norm, to take the unit with the blade running in the Y axis. Does that make sense?
    Another thought, even as I write this, what if you had a way of turning the head into the X axis?? Maybe not.
    It may well have been done already, and I'm sure someone will find it and burst my Bubble, but until then, it's my idea, and I'm quite excited about it. I think it's an age thing!

Cheers
    Gray

Mark Carew likes this.
  2. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

I think this is a brilliant idea Gray. :thumbsup:

Perhaps it has been done before but who cares, you are taking a fresh approach towards a solution and that is certainly thinking outside the box. :)
    I am confident Mach3 is up to the task of controlling the beast, including some form of rotary axis (perhaps 180 degrees which would easily allow cutting at any angle within two quadrants, at least).

I look forward to following your progress of ideas with this project - well done my friend. :thumbsup:

Tweakie.

3. GrayUK

Can only find this one so far:
    http://www.scosarg.com/stromab-ctf800-cnc-saw-cutting-centre-for-beams.html
    but at £40,000, it's a little out of most peoples range.
    Also...... Mitre cuts???
    Mmmmmm. Need to think on that one maybe? Gonna need a 4th axis there I think?
    Would be easier than the Y to X rotary head I think. Twist into horizontal, and all points in between? Going to need a Gantry mod here. Clearance to allow an overhang, by the saw, at the extreme edge for a right hand mitre. Then again, turn the piece over and cut a left hand mitre, with body of saw swung to the left? Easier to mod the Gantry, which would have to be higher anyway to accommodate the saw etc.
    Bed size would be very important on something like this.
    Could be a whole new breed of machine here!

Gray

4. GrayUK

5. GrayUK

This looks nice. I could try taking a wall down, and maybe get it in. Trouble is, there'd be no room for me or any wood!!:ROFL::ROFL:

So, generally, it's not a new idea, it's just a whole lot bigger, and way way too expensive!!!
    They are true "Dinosaurs" in the world of new ideas? (That was almost poetic. :)) We are always talking Industrial with these machines, not Domestic.

And yet why shouldn't the Hobbyist enjoy simple automation at Home. (Keep it clean there Guys :rolleyes: )

My God, listen to me! :D

Gray

#5 GrayUK, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  6. GrayUK

To All!
    I need to apologise, should I have upset or offended anybody for comments made before Editing the previous post. This was just a humorous quip, and was an example of our strange English sense of humour.

Again My Apologies should I have upset anyone.

Many Thanks
    (Particularly Tweakie for pointing out my error)

Gray

7. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

If it's any consolation, I admin. a Hungarian forum and Google Translate has got me into really deep poo on more than one occasion over the last couple of years. :D

Tweakie.

8. GrayUK

Lol. :)
    I've got some great American friends near me, and I forget how I had to acclimatise them to our/my sense of humour. Used to get some really strange looks from them as well. still do some times. :cool:

Yeah I've seen your site over there, so to speak, that was the early days wasn't it?
    Before Philips screws. :D (There I go again.)

Gray

9. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

No, it was long after Philips screws - but - before possidrive :D

Tweakie.

10. GrayUK

Now that's an age thing!
    Gray

11. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

12. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

All you're really talking about is automating a panel saw and that's really no big deal. A stand-up version would be more space efficient though.

[​IMG]

13. GrayUK

I must admit I hadn't thought about a huge Z Axis! That would have to be on at least 2 good sized Ballscrews, just for the weight. It is the Automation thing that it is all about.

Cheers
    Gray

14. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Counterweights are far cheaper than ball screws. This could easily be belt driven if properly balanced. And the one in the photo is for a fairly hefty circular saw. Scaling all this down to the saw you suggested makes it a lot lighter.

15. GrayUK

True my Friend. It's on the back burner for the moment.
    However, any ideas are truly welcome.

Gray

16. Brian Slee

Brian Slee Well-Known
    Builder

Hey guys,
    I was going to save this....but since Gray opened this thread and there is some interest. One of the attachments for Ultimo will be a full sheet cutter. If you take the picture Rick posted and put a hinge on it, then attach the top to one of the OB linear actuator arrangements and then run the parallel effector up and down while the board goes side to side for 2 axis cutting with the router attachment you have some idea of what I am looking to do. I will have to flip the effector arms upside down to get a full 48" and maybe invert the G code to compensate but I think it is very doable. What do you guys think?

17. GrayUK

No offense meant my friend, but really?
    Ha Ha. :D You lost me after the words, "full sheet cutter". :ROFL::ROFL:
    I know, you know, what you're talking about and can picture it,
    but I'll wait for the Video or a picture. LOL.

Cheers
    Gray

18. Brian Slee

Brian Slee Well-Known
    Builder

Yes Gray .....REALLY :p

It will surely take some firmware work but why not??? I just make the original Z axis into the X and then slide the board back and forth for the Y. I have 1500mm rails so there should be plenty of travel available.

19. Brian Slee

Brian Slee Well-Known
    Builder

Here is a pic of how I picture it mounted to the front. The router will be attached to the effector plate perpendicular to the work piece. The effector would travel up and down and the plate will travel sided to side.

Attached Files:

20. GrayUK

Oh OK. :thumbsup: Now I've seen the picture. You see, I'm just outside the box, on the edge so to speak, you, you're well away from it. I couldn't have thought on a tangent like that. It must be an age thing again. :(
    It will be interesting to see that bit come to fruition in the future.

Cheers
    Gray

21. Brian Slee

Brian Slee Well-Known
    Builder

You can't be that old...I am topping 50 so no spring chicken here ;)

I really cant start serious work on it til I get the basic bot on line and working but I have a few other thoughts on it that have been bouncing around in my noggin. Like adding a plate on the back side of the work piece that follows the effector head up and down with a hose attachment for a wet/dry vacuum for dust collection on wood and a set of water injectors in the inlet of the vacuum hose for using a plasma cutter on plate metal.

#21 Brian Slee, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  22. GrayUK

We are just a spit away from retirement here.
    Whoa! Plasma. Big time there. It's so messy as well!
    Like yourself, I need to get the basic machine up and running, before moving on to other things, but it will certainly keep for a while.
    I did think though, like the Spindle is to the Router, perhaps there is a stand alone, and more compact, saw head which can be adapted.
    It's all just rolling around in there.

Cheers
    Gray

23. andrew

andrew New
    Builder

The title made me think of something else before I read the thread. An automatic end-stop for a table saw would be a neat build for v-rail. Google up "sawgear" for the commercial version.

24. GrayUK

Now, I know I've seen one of those on OpenBuilds somewhere.

Gray

25. andrew

andrew New
    Builder

You would think. The single axis should be pretty simple. A bit more effort in the interface and you would have something really useful. I'd give it a shot if I had the space.