Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Ox build - order from the store.

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Andy Crouch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Andy Crouch

Builder

I am new here. I am in the UK and planning to build an OX. :)
    on this subject I am just printing off the cuttings list for the stock, it would be a sizable order for import and i am looking to see if some parts may be obtained more locally and buy the rest from the store, I note that the Nema 17 is currently out of stock and 8mm Threaded Rod. I have already identified some parts I can obtain easily.
    I haven't worked out where to get plates made up, that's my next job.
    Have you had experience of ordering what were the time scales/availability any tips for me?
    Andy.

2. Andy Crouch

Builder

Whilst I'm here 1 other question regarding the acquiring of parts the Shapeoko Bundle seems to be out of stock, I'm not particularly worried as i think I can either find this controller somewhere else or possibly use a different CNC controller. I am working with arduino however in other research too. Has anybody got advice/experiance on similar controller options to that in the OX example and what results did they have? Thanks..

3. Michael Burns

Builder

Andy Crouch likes this.
  4. Andy Crouch

Builder

Michael,
    Thanks for the link. ebay seems to be a good resource for acquiring cnc parts.
    Andy.

5. Michael Burns

Builder

As far as electronics I went with a C10 breakout board, 3 m542h drivers and a set of 36v 9amp power supplies.

Andy Crouch likes this.
  6. Michael Burns

Builder

Both OpenBuilds and Ebay played a big part in my build.

Andy Crouch likes this.
  7. Franco Ponticelli

Builder

For the electronics I am using a TinyG and a 24v power supply with nema23 motors. No complains so far, pretty easy to setup and maneuver.

Andy Crouch likes this.
  8. Andy Crouch

Builder

Thanks Guys.. guess what another question!
    Has anyone cut different materials, I know that this is a router primarily and a mill is slightly different. I am looking to cut accurately a range of materials including carbon fibre sheet, aluminium and wood.
    I would like to ask the flexibility of the working machine for different materials and the kind of results i might expect.
    Thanks again I really do appreciate the advice. :)

9. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Andy.

If you look at all the videos knocking around, you'll see many materials, including aluminium, glass, wood and plastics all being successfully carved, milled and etched.

Obviously, the spindle/router you use, the bits you use, and most of all the speed you use and depth of cut, will determine the outcome. :cool:

But yes, this machine is more than capable of producing great work, but it is really the peripherals that combine to produce the quality that one wants. :thumbsup:

Gray

Andy Crouch likes this.
  10. Andy Crouch

Builder

That's reassured me thanks. Now all I need is the funds to start my build :p At least this will be a quality design I can develop by adding components to fine tune the results which is what I am looking for. Also many of the parts are reusable should I decide to make a major overhaul to suit a new idea which is ideal.

11. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Andy.
    I know you probably do, and have, but do make sure you research, look at videos, read the forums, (not just ours), before you go for it.

I've made my Final Decision about three, or is it four, times now. I've gone from simple, too very intricate and all-doing machines, back to the plain and simple machine. :rolleyes:

I've gone from Mach3 to USB CNC Controller, to Grbl and Arduino, and back to USB CNC controller.

I've gone from belt, to screw driven, and back again.

I've lost count of how many times I've changed my mind about which steppers to use. :banghead: It's gotta be 23s for me.

Small bed, to large bed, and stuck there. Trying to anticipate future needs. If you have the room, it's better to be too big, than not to have "just the room" for a job. What if a friend wants you to make them a really intricate, and expensive, radiator cover that they could not get anywhere else? It would be an easy job on your CNC.:cool:

All these choices have their pros and cons, and they are all tempered with cost and ease of application.

My machine will be used for many,many different types of jobs, so I needed to put a lot of thought into it.
    There is also the thing about, "if you just keep reading you're not doing", well that is true. So moderation in all things.

Anyway, sorry to go on. I'll get off my box now. :D

If you know what you want, then go for it! :thumbsup:

Cheers
    Gray

Andy Crouch likes this.
  12. Andy Crouch

Builder

I have a manufacturing degree but that does not mean I know s*** about a given Idea, never assume. I know the importance of asking questions. I'm glad to say this forum seems like a good place to come for support and one feels like your working in a team. And yes I now need to start ordering, I have found that the cost of some parts is inflated by some sellers, I have to say that the OB part store is good even with delivery cost to UK they are working out reasonable on price. I hope I can share the work I do and contribute as others have.
    Catch y'all soon I'm sure I will need more help when I start the build :S

13. Michael Burns

Builder

I have been working with large cnc's in the woodworking industry for a long time and had been wanting to build my own for about 5-6 years. The cost of most machines designs were out of my budget and didn't think I would get to build my own. Then I stumbled onto Open Builds. The design of there machine is very economical and I now have my machine. The design is solid and is open to a lot of different configurations. I will be posting my build soon. Good luck with yours:thumbsup:

Andy Crouch likes this.