Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OX-Metal CNC Router Mill

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Schematix, Jul 6, 2016.

1. SugarJ

SugarJ Well-Known
    Builder

That 570mm travel is bang on. My Y rails are 705mm apart, and my gantry plates are 135mm wide, leaving a maximum X travel distance of 570 mm.

2. Robert Kirkpatrick

Builder

Hello. I have looked at many cnc routers and I must say I think this is the best version so far. My question is I would like to cut 1000X1000X5mm shapes out of Nylon. Is it possible to make this machine larger to accommodate this size sheet? and if so how do I calculate what size the extrusion needs to be.. Thanks

3. SugarJ

SugarJ Well-Known
    Builder

Is it possible? Yes. But I'd say it would be difficult. You can get longer lead screws, but not in 8mm sizes. So this would mean making your own anti-backlash nut blocks for a M10 leadscrew from McMaster-Carr, or coming up with another mounting arrangement. To be honest, I think it would be easier to modify the original Ox belt-driven design to machine Nylon this size. The idea behind the leadscrews is give enough stiffness to be able to machine aluminum and other light metals where belts would stretch or break. I'd think nylon wouldn't require this additional stiffness.

4. SugarJ

SugarJ Well-Known
    Builder

I stand corrected. :)

5. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

To calculate your extrusion length needed, you need to know how big your cutting area needs to be (in your case 1000x1000mm) and how big your gantry plates are and anything else that will get in the way of how far your gantries can travel on your extrusions. So, Lets say for your X axis your gantry plates are 150 mm wide, the Y gantry runs on the outside of the Y extrusions (20 mm wide x 2 = 40 mm + approximately 2mm clearance on each side between plates and extrusion). Your X extrusion would have to be 1000 + 150 + 40 + 2+2 = 1194. Limit switches may also affect the length depending on where they are installed.

6. Robert Kirkpatrick

Builder

Ok thanks for the information. Going back on what I asked, what is the current estimated "cost" for the standard Ox-Metal?

7. vonsy

vonsy New
    Builder

Hi,

Thank for this modification Scematix :)

8. Sevenhanske

Builder

Hi, Are you still offering to 3D-print the needed parts for the OX-Metal CNC? If so, can you give me a price for your time and/or parts/plastic ... thanks already :)

gilson russo likes this.
  9. SugarJ

SugarJ Well-Known
    Builder

10. Tysen Ball

Builder

Love the build i was wondering if you had plans in pdf files?

11. Devo

Devo New
    Builder

Top project would love to see some blue prints to help with designing my own

12. Sprocket1597

Builder

Ive noticed the number of bolts in the parts lists does not match whats used in the construction video. Also some of them are cap screws not low profile screws (eg on the z motor). something to watch out for when ordering parts.

13. Marcio Moraes

Builder

Hi guys. I need choose a spindle for this machine, i want cut wood and aluminium. Any suggestions?

#73 Marcio Moraes, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  14. Poorfellar

Builder

I'm almost to the part where I will be needing the 3D printed parts. But my Gantry plates and X Carriage plates are 6.6mm and not 4mm or 6mm like the files are drawn up too. My question is, would anybody out there modify the 6mm files to 6.6mm for me? I'm just getting into this and I have no clue how to fix those files for 6.6mm. I do have a local company that can 3D print for me or I would gladly purchase them from someone on this site. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

15. Eric Girard

Builder

I used a 2.2Kw water cooled on mine for steel / aluminium / wood and I'm quite happy with it. I went with a 2.2Kw in order to get an ER20 collet which alllow me to use tools with up to 1/2" shank. The only thing I'm not sure is if the OX is sturdy enough for the weight (approx 15-20lbs)

CNC Milling Machine

Eric G.

16. Eric Girard

Builder

I used a 2.2Kw water cooled on mine for steel / aluminium / wood and I'm quite happy with it. I went with a 2.2Kw in order to get an ER20 collet which alllow me to use tools with up to 1/2" shank. The only thing I'm not sure is if the OX is sturdy enough for the weight (approx 15-20lbs)

CNC Milling Machine

Eric G.

17. Eric Girard

Builder

HI,

I printed a few OX kits for various builders on this thread. The files CAN be modified but that would be time consuming. Would help if you could figure which parts (names) need to be thickened.

Eric G.

18. pabvloc

pabvloc New
    Builder

Hello, thanks for sharing!!!
    I am new here.
    I am planning to build an X/Y Table Style CNC Mill based on OX CNC router milling machine, 2000 Y-axis x 1500 x-axis x 60-Z axis.
    ANy recommendations to reinforce the gantry and Y-axis and X-axis to those measures?
    what is the cutting tolerance accuracy actually of the OX-Metal CNC?
    or any other recommendations?
    thanks

#78 pabvloc, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  19. Poorfellar

Builder

I found a local guy to print the 6mm parts without modifying the files. The only part that didn't work was the one on the bottom of the X carriage for the lead screw. I was able to make something with aluminum angle. I do want to say that he printed the parts with 30% infill out of PLA. I think they are strong enough for the Nema motor mounts and end lead screw mounts but not nearly strong enough for those little ears on the X carriage lead screw. Seemed very brittle. Just my thoughts.

20. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

2000 x 1500 is going to be large. I would have the 2000 mm Y supported (ie attached to table) the whole length to prevent sagging and lateral flexing. As for the 1500 mm X, I would at minimum double up some 20 x 80 v-slots and bolt them together. If it were me building it, I would consider maybe modifying the plates and use 3 of them. I am by no means an expert, but here is how I supported my Y axis the whole length and it turned out to be nice and solid. Go down to April 4, 2016 if you are interested. Lead Screw Driven Ox Derivative (850x1500)

Jhero likes this.
  21. Poorfellar

Builder

Got the Ox up and running. Everything has turned out great that I have cut so far. I just installed all my limit switches and they will stop the machine if it triggers them. Only problem is when I click on $H I get an "error 5" message. It will not "Home". I'm using the xPRO V3 Controller and Universal Gcode sender. I know I changed $21 to =1. Not sure, but I think I changed $22 to =1. Can anybody help me figure this out? Do I need to change $21 to =1? If someone could tell me which settings to change, it would be of great help. I will check my settings when I get home this afternoon.

22. pabvloc

pabvloc New
    Builder

Hi giarc,

Thanks a lot to reply me and recommendations!! :)

What if I attach also the X-axis to table?
    Why do u recommend use doble 2080 vslot for X-axis (shorter than Y-axis)?

23. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team

I recommend doubling the X axis due to the weight of the spindle and the cutting forces that it will have to withstand.

If the Y is attached to the table as I said, and showed in the picture, it will be supported vertically and laterally for its whole length and therefore would not need to be doubled up.

24. Jhero

Jhero New
    Builder

Hi! i have a doubt about the Nema 23 motor, which one it´s the indicate? "nema 23 standar" or "nema23 high torque"?

25. SugarJ

SugarJ Well-Known
    Builder

The link in the Parts List goes to the standard Nema 23. I use one of those motors on my Z-axis with no issues.

Jhero likes this.
  26. Jhero

Jhero New
    Builder

Great! Do you use the same model of makita router?

27. SugarJ

SugarJ Well-Known
    Builder

No, I use a Bosch Colt. I had that and some other motors carried over from my first CNC build made out of MDF. Makita makes good tools too, I used to sell them when I worked at a lumber yard.

Jhero likes this.
  28. Jhero

Jhero New
    Builder

In deed I´m thinking use the same Bosch model too. Thank a lot for your help!

29. dean3

dean3 New
    Builder

Is the eccentric spacer in your parts list 1/4" or 6mm?

30. SugarJ

SugarJ Well-Known
    Builder

If I remember right you get 1/4" eccentrics to match the 1/4" spacers.

dean3 likes this.