Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

OX Mods

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by leversole, Apr 3, 2016.

1. leversole

leversole New
    Builder

Been using my 1000mm x 750mm Ox for several months now...recent upgrades include a Gecko 540 controller, Mach3, and a nice electronics box...
    IMG_2894.JPG IMG_2935.JPG IMG_2934.JPG IMG_2933.JPG

2. leversole

leversole New
    Builder

The first things on my mod list are to make the X axis stronger (less flex) and to gain more clearance between the router and the table...raising the X gantry is as simple as machining taller side plates, but, I really want to use linear bearings and rails instead of the V-Groove wheels, which will necessitate rebuilding the Z axis anyway, so I might as well go with a ballscrew. I ordered a pc of C Beam for the X axis as this should be much stronger. I have a 12" ballscrew on the way from China. Been thinking about the C Beam, along with reading everything I can on CNC router design, the options are overwhelming!

At the speeds I am cutting, (50-80ipm), the belts are not giving me any problems, though I know they wear, and strecth and so on...anyway I think my first pass at mods is to use linear bearing with my current belt setup. Though I really want the bearings on the X axis spread out more than the C Beam will give me, I think I will be okay for a while...I did a "mock up" of one way to use the linear bearings AND keep the original belt drive. I think this will work pretty good. The real plate for the Z will be thicker and I will make spacers for the motor mount. The wheels only have a light touch to the C Beam, just to keep the belt in place.

IMG_2932.JPG IMG_2931.JPG IMG_2930.JPG IMG_2929.JPG

GrayUK likes this.