Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Panther Printer - Lautr3k

Discussion in '3D printers' started by DiggerJ, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Lluis

Lluis New
    Builder

Hello, I have a question: the leadscrew of trinity labs is D:12mm; pitch: 25mm and 10 starts. Pitch x starts = lead 250mm. Is correct? Sorry for my english but I'm lost.

2. Kyo

Kyo Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

As diggerJ has decided to go with the robotdigg nema / screw combo, Any further talk of lead screw options should probably be within the main Lautr3k thread. I would not want to clutter or distract from DiggerJ's build thread.

DiggerJ - If my replies get to off topic from your build feel free to tell me to zip it. lol

Your english is fine :thumbsup: Questions are good they are how we all learn..

The Trinity Labs Screws. Were From PBC Linear's Line up of CFT ( Constant force Technology ) SIMO Series lead screw's. And were indeed.
    Diameter:12mm Lead:25mm Start:10 I don't recall there Pitch or TPI ( threads per inch ) specs off hand. If my math is correct this late ( or is it early haha ) they would be 10 TPI and 2.5mm Pitch

The use of the term Pitch in most cases ( such as Trinity Labs old website ) is incorrect. With a 25mm Lead the nut will travel 25mm for every one full revolution of the screw. It is a combo of Low Pitch ( resolution ) High Lead ( speed ) that make the screws suitable for fast yet high resolution movement required in 3d printers. 10 starts allow for a higher lead while keeping the pitch lower. For example a 5 start 25mm lead screw will still have the same speed of travel = 25mm per one screw revolution. However with a lower start it will require a higher pitch to achieve that 25mm lead resulting in a slightly lower resolution.

If someone finds error in my explanation, Please correct me. I am still learning all of this myself. :cool:

#32 Kyo, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  3. Lluis

Lluis New
    Builder

I am very happy of your explanation. It is the first time that I have understood as a leadscrew works. I read very much but your explanation is the best! I will wait of finding the leadscrews with 10 starts! Thank you very much!!

4. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

Its all good Kyo, we're all in it to share.

5. Kyo

Kyo Veteran
    Staff Member Builder Resident Builder

I sent a email to a local company who deals with Thomson. He got back to me right away. Afraid the cost would be far more then Trinity labs. Are they worth the extra cost over other options? I don't know.

I emailed back asking if there was a discount with "X" number of screws, and gave him more details about there use and how much we were paying from TL.

For now we at least have details / part numbers for a off the shelf screw with the same specs as the original units, A few of the printed parts would need to be updated for new nuts as well..

10 Start 12mm x 25mm Screw.. Part# SRA10-12X2.5M
    $193 Each
    $386 For the 2 Needed
    However he will provided them ready to go machined to the following spec.
    [​IMG]

Anti Back Lash Nuts.. Part# XCF_10-12X2.5M
    $71 Each
    Specs on Back lash nut
    [​IMG]

Standard Nuts.. Part# MTS10-12x2.5M
    $30 Each
    Specs on Standard nut
    [​IMG]

Edit: note, I am not selling these but simply posting the prices I was quoted.

6. DiggerJ

DiggerJ Journeyman
    Builder

I wonder what RobotDigg could mget these screws made over there for? There has to be someone is China who makes them. If RD can sell a screw and stepper motor for 50 bucks, they have to be able to get these on the cheap.

7. edward siegel

Builder

I have a lathe if anyone needs something turned I charge 20 an hour 2 hr min contact me if you have any questions

8. edward siegel

Builder

we have a couple of places in baton rouge like Fastenal or baton rouge bolt lighting bolt and capital bolt I believe they all carry acme screws just a thought
    oh by the way im Edward hello everyone