Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Parallel Twin beam Y axis CNC design to offset torsion issues?

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by J1mbo, Nov 17, 2016.

1. J1mbo

J1mbo New
    Builder

I've been reading up on CNC designs and their respective pros and cons and wonder why I haven't seen any parallel twin beam Y axis designs floating around. The idea that any twisting moment produced by the router is then shared equally between the two parallel beams with the router being carried in a "box" like Z axis between the two Y beams. Essentially, two Z plates, one on either Y beam with the router mount sandwiched in between.

I feel like its a really simple solution, so am wondering why its not been thought of and produced yet and or I'm missing something due to my inexperience in this field. Does anyone understand my idea and have some input or has anyone been down this route? Does/will it add too much weight to the gantry or can the y beams be downsized to compensate?

The only immediate issue I can see is with cable routing potentially becoming a little more difficult.

2. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

3. J1mbo

J1mbo New
    Builder

In a nutshell yes. Thank you.

4. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder