Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Phlatprinter MKII

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Carew, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

2. rcKeith

rcKeith New
    Builder

I'm thinking of building a Phlatprinter and have downloaded the sketchup files but I believe there was a build video when the kit was purchased. Is this still available? Not sure whats used for the rollers and a build video would probably make it a bit clearer. Found a time lapse on youtube but its not got any commentary or details.
    Thanks
    Keith

3. Mark Carew

Hi @rcKeith
    Yes there were build videos for the Phlatprinters. We do not have the MKII uploaded yet, but you may get some ideas from the original Phlatprinter videos that are already posted here: http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/original-phlatprinter.95/
    Hope this helps until we are able to get the threads updated as well as adding the Phlatprinter 3 and the Phlatformer.
    Looking forward to your build Keith :thumbsup:

4. rcKeith

rcKeith New
    Builder

Thanks Mark.
    Found them and its a good introduction. On the Phlatprinter 3 I've seen you gone to to 2 drive rollers. From what I can see on various videos on youtube they look like conveyor rollers but I may be wrong. I think I can work out most details but its the rollers that are puzzling me. Do you have any details. Thanks again
    Keith

5. Mark Carew

They are steel tubing (the kind used for fencing) with custom end caps that we lathed down (from PVC pucks) to fit in the pipes and to hold a bearing. You could use conveyer rollers because they are basically the same thing but we tried them and we could not get enough of them to roll even.
    Hope this helps

6. rcKeith

rcKeith New
    Builder

Thanks Mark. A family member works for a well known online company which have some that are surplus so he's going to get me a couple to try.
    Did the demand dry up for the Phaltprinter it seems a shame you don't do it any more. I contacted a local cnc cutting service in the UK to get a quote of cutting all the part in the dxf files you've uploaded but I think the job was too small and they didn't reply. Will the Phlatprinter 3 files be uploaded at anytime.
    Keith

7. Mark Carew

Thats cool you can try some out before you commit.
    The ones we tried were like this pic, but they were not very good. I would think that maybe using one roller you could get away with it, but for two we could not get them to roll even. they had high and low spots.
    conveyor-rollers726-.jpg
    We are not sure about the demand but the plan is that we are still going to release a new version that will be made from V-Slot :)
    In fact I have it half built as of now and plan to revisit it asap. Sneak Peak
    We will be uploading the MK3 files soon as well.