Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Portable cnc plasma cutter

Discussion in 'Concepts and Ideas' started by Redneck darrell, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Redneck darrell

Builder

im looking at trying to build a portable plasma cutter much like the crossbow style. Has anyone tried this, it seems it would fit my needs more for space and usability.

2. Dave420

Dave420 New
    Builder

My Boss suggested i put removable wheels on 1 end my 10X5 table build so we can pick it up with a car jack on the other end to move it around the shop. the same would apply to rolling table up on a trailer to move it from site to site.

3. Dave420

Dave420 New
    Builder

Something you could bolt onto sides of your truck bed would be a cool mobile unit

4. Redneck darrell

Builder

ok I was thinking more of the crossbow style just not sure how the drive part works.

5. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

The drive system should be fairly simple as it appears to be little more than a basic X-Y table. The best example of one (conceptually) that would suit your purpose would be the one used in the embroidery machine project. And while your first thoughts on seeing the example are going to be WHAAAAT????? let's break it down as to how it applies. Its a simple base rail with a self-propelled gantry moving along it with a secondary arm that moves in and out from the self propelled gantry. Propulsion is based on a length of timing belt attached at the ends of the rails looping around stepper mounted timing pulleys affixed to the gantry assembly. Sure, your needs will require something somewhat beefier and probably with two base rails for stability but the same propulsion concept would apply. Rack & pinion could also be used but you may have difficulty integrating it into the armature rail. (Note, disregard the electronics shown in the example and check the electronics used in the cnc and laser cutter sections of the forum as they will be far better suited for your non-embroidery needs.)

6. Redneck darrell

Builder

Yes that will work perfect only one plate vertical and the other plate horizontal. I'm amazed at what people come up with on this site thanks so much for your help.