Welcome to Our Community

Unlock hidden features. Sign Up for Free Today!

Producing 3D relief's for free.

Discussion in 'Other Software' started by Tweakie, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Mach1 Filter.exe.

Mach1 Filter is a little known and often overlooked, free, stand-alone, Windows based application which can be used to create the necessary GCode tool-path for producing Lithophanes, 3D Relief’s and also laser, raster scan images etc.

It was written a few years ago and is pretty basic (without all the bells and whistles often found in more up-to-date software) but it still does a good job, and can accept HPGL, JPG & BMP format images.

As with most software, to obtain the best results, a little practice is required to judge the correct brightness / contrast / sharpness for the original image but it is quickly mastered and for those wishing to try, it can be downloaded from here Mach1Filter

This is just an example of a 3D relief reproduction working from a JPG depth-map image.

g1.jpg g0.jpg g2.jpg g4.jpg

Tweakie.

Evan F, GrayUK and Mark Carew like this.
  2. JustinTime

JustinTime Master
    Builder

@Tweakie, what type of machine is the g-code good for? A router type, laser type or maybe impact machine like you showed on the Phlat forum? I know you've mentioned above laser.

3. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

Hi Justin Time,

It’s probably best suited for router use.

However, it can create the GCode for raster scan reproduction of DXF’s with a laser simply by using the machine’s Z axis direction pin as the laser trigger (small change to ports & pins configuration if using Mach3).

I am not sure if it can produce anything useful for use with an impact magnet tool – perhaps one day I will give it a try.

Tweakie.

JustinTime likes this.
  4. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Resident Builder Builder

Nice find @Tweakie Thanks for the share

5. Johnnythehammer

Builder

Can I view the converted file with Artcam express? I tried with no luck.

6. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

The converted file is Gcode so you would be able to use any Gcode viewer.

Tweakie.

7. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

I tried in on my Windows 7 desktop and while the program loads and starts to process an image. It always seems to stop. Is there limits as to the size of an image being used or am I missing something?

Anthony Bolgar likes this.
  8. Anthony Bolgar

Anthony Bolgar Veteran
    Builder

I have the same issue, it just seems to freeze.

9. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

While costing a few dollars as opposed to Free. Bmp2CNC is another 3D Relief creation software that I've worked with for years. I don't have any examples to show as other than creating GCode the actual files are saved in the .STL Format and therefore I can't share them here as they're to large.

Joe Santarsiero likes this.
  10. JustinTime

JustinTime Master
    Builder

$45 is not exactly 'a few dollars'. :(

11. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

Compared to the $4200.00 for a year that Artcam costs and because it will work without issues, unlike Mach1 Filter. $45.00 and the fact that it works with all versions of Windows without any issues. Seems to be a very good compromise in my book.
    If Free is a prerequisite, than might I suggest that you look in the various Open Source Registries as I am quite sure that there are plenty more options available. But you can forget about any idiot proof point and click remedies.