Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Prusa i3 Filament Stripping

Discussion in '3D printers' started by Callan, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Callan

Callan New
    Builder

Hey everybody,

I'm a student organization that built a Prusa i3 printer and we are having some issues with it. When I extrude to test if the right amount of filament is coming out it works great. But after I have done that and go to print something the filament begins to strip.

I make sure to clean out the hobbed bolt before I do both of these things. The problem still persists even after I have taken all the grinned up filament out of the bolt.

I change the amount of tension on the filament and no matter what it still ends up striping the filament.

Is there any solution to my problem?

2. Callan

Callan New
    Builder

The filament gets stuck in one spot, and the hobbed bolt begins to grind away at the filament. I should have used the word grind, instead of stripping. It leaves a little Cresent in the filament that has been grinder away.

3. dddman

dddman Journeyman
    Builder

What filament are you using? maybe your hobbed bolt is bad? Did you try with another one? What is your extruder type? Can you take pictures of your setup (spool holder included)?

4. Erin

Erin New
    Builder

I am having a similar problem. I have tried adjusting the tightness of the piece that the filament flows between (the piece that holds the filament against the gear feeding it through the motor; sorry for poor wording). Additionally, I have experimented with different feed and flow rates, but have yet to find a solution to this problem. (I have a dual extruder Prusa Mendel i3 that I built; I calibrated both extruders, but when I try to print nothing comes out). Please let me know if you end up figuring out a solution to this problem.

#4 Erin, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  5. Scotty Orr

Scotty Orr Journeyman
    Builder

I suspect something is wrong at your hot-end (clog, not up to temp, etc). You should try bringing the hot-end up to temp and then manually push some filament through by hand. If it won't go, then check the temp and/or disassemble the hot-end and check for blockage. (If you can get an extrusion by hand, then check for binding on the entire path of the filament - including your spool.)