Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Question about RAMPS 1.4 boards

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by woofguy, Dec 17, 2016.

1. woofguy

woofguy New
    Builder

Hello all,

please forgive if this has been asked, I searched and couldn't find anything similar to the issue I am having.
    I started my quest to creating a DIY CNC machine. I went with the project Root 2 CNC multitool router 3D printed parts by sailorpete Root 2 CNC

I have the Arduino Mega and RAMPS 1.4 board with a 12V PSU.
    So far I have blown two RAMPS boards out instantly upon turning on the PSU.

I have thoroughly checked my PSU and also went as far as to swap out my PSU.
    They both provide a solid 12V signal as per my multi-meter.

The blow out (or mini fire) always happens in the same spot on the RAMPS board.
    Near where the 12V power connector is, there is a small resister that instantly Pops! and then smokes or catches fire. I have multiple 3D printers so I decided to try taking the RAMPS board out of my old Robo 3D R1+ and use it on the same PSU and setup, It works totally fine! no issues whatsoever? I ordered these RAMPS boards from amazon and I know they are "Cheap Chinese" but they have had good reviews. I can't imagine that two boards from two different vendors had the exact same faulty resister? I'm not an electrical engineer, so maybe I am missing something? I have provided two pictures below, the black RAMPS board is from my Robo 3D printer and works fine, The red RAMPS board is from amazon and is the 2nd one to blow up.

I have circled the area with the resister on both photos. you can clearly see the black Robo board is different from the Chinese board. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated in figuring out this dilemma.
    rampsblack.jpg rampsred.jpg

2. 3DMON

3DMON New
    Builder

Those are diodes and they will pop if you reverse the polarity going to the board.

3. woofguy

woofguy New
    Builder

thanks 3dmon, so based on the images above, going from left to right on the green connector, is it RED/BLACK/RED/BLACK or is it BLACK/RED/BLACK/RED?

4. 3DMON

3DMON New
    Builder

RED/BLACK/RED/BLACK

If you had it wired this way then the diodes were soldered incorrectly (they are one way like a check valve is in plumbing).
    I would find it strange for 2 different boards from 2 different vendors to have them soldered wrong though.

Also those boards could easily be fixed by replacing the burned up diode.

5. woofguy

woofguy New
    Builder

Thanks, and yes i did have it RED/BLACK/RED/BLACK. I also ran to radioshack and got a pack of diodes, replaced the bad one and it popped again?! im I just cursed?

6. 3DMON

3DMON New
    Builder

Post a pic of the bad board.

7. woofguy

woofguy New
    Builder

also the black board from my printer is fine!

8. woofguy

woofguy New
    Builder

Thanks Justin, that was it!

9. 3DMON

3DMON New
    Builder

Good to hear you got it figured out. What Justin said was going to be my next thought, lol.

woofguy likes this.
  10. woofguy

woofguy New
    Builder

thanks to you as well Mon!