Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Recommendations for stepper motors and drivers

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by sgspenceley, Dec 10, 2014.

1. sgspenceley

sgspenceley Veteran
    Builder

2. Joe Santarsiero

Joe Santarsiero OB addict
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Either of these will get the job done well. The gecko 540s are nice and are all the rave in most places around the web. One issue another OB member pointed out with the 540 is that if you develop a bad driver then your whole operation is toast until you're repaired. Gecko is a top brand known for reliability and I'm sure their support is up to par.
    I've dealt with automationtech and I'm pretty satisfied with the products I've received from them. For what you want to do I think their package is more than suitable and will allow you a few bucks to spend in other areas.

My two cents

#2 Joe Santarsiero, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    sgspenceley likes this.
  3. sgspenceley

sgspenceley Veteran
    Builder

Thank you Joe. Great to hear the company automationtech is good to deal with and the cheaper solution should fit my needs.

Lots of new stuff to learn with this build, this forum, designs and friendly people will really help make this build easier. I have a strong 3D CAD background blended with lots of workshop experience. But the world of stepper motors and electronics is all new and will be a challenge...

#3 sgspenceley, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  4. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder

Hi sgspenceley

That top set you have there. I'm a little concerned about the drivers amperage handling at just 3amps. Double check to make sure the Steppers, under load, are not going to demand more. And that the total demand of the 4 steppers, is within the Power Supply of 9.7amps.
    I'm sure it's all fine, but it's just something to check out.

Gray

sgspenceley likes this.
  5. Joe Santarsiero

Their 270 23's are 2.8A. I'm sure everything is considered when they put these packages together, but I'd still get a hold of them to make sure the 270's in that package are the same that they sell individually on their site.

sgspenceley likes this.
  6. pmany

pmany New
    Builder

I dont understand why most packages have a power supply that cannot meet the maximum of the combined motors. Wouldnt it be better to exceed the total amps needed?

7. Joe Santarsiero

From what I've gathered; 2/3 the total driver current is all that is necessary. ie. 4 drivers at 3A each = 12A 12A*.66=7.9A
    Still, the difference in price for a higher current supply is a few dollars!

8. Tweakie

Tweakie OpenBuilds Team

Hi Pmany,

Joe is quite correct concerning the < two thirds motor current current draw but the general rule is to count up the total current all motors are rated at then choose a PSU for that total current. This then gives us an adequate safety margin.
    However, assuming the motors are rated at 3 Amps and the drivers are only capable of putting out a maximum of 2.5 Amps then it is the 2.5 Amp figure that is used in the calculation (if that makes sense).

Tweakie.

sgspenceley likes this.
  9. pmany

pmany New
    Builder

Yes having to limit the current to the lowest common denominator makes sense. I did not realize the two thirds max current needed bit though. Still trying to piece together all the information :)

sgspenceley likes this.
  10. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder

Check out some of the threads, regarding Steppers, in Helpful Tools
    Also, have a look at this Video. OK it is about the USB CNC Controller, but his video is really informative.

Gray

sgspenceley likes this.
  11. pmany

pmany New
    Builder

helpful, makes perfect sense, but nice to "see" how it is done.

12. sgspenceley

sgspenceley Veteran
    Builder

Thank you, for all the excellent information. I was going the package route on the assumption that someone had configured a set a hardware that works well together. But now assume it's buyer be aware even for kits.

Thank you grayuk the video was really excellent!

#12 sgspenceley, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014