Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Record lathe - What do I need ?

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by Naboo, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Naboo

Naboo New
    Builder

Hey all,

I'm completely new to anything CNC, actuator, control module, etc etc related,
    going to build a record lathe and need to build an actuator of some sort to run above the turntable to move the cutting head and have no idea what would suit best...

It needs to move very slow (approx. half a mm every 3 secs) across a length of 200mm or so, and be insanely steady and accurate. Was thinking a lead screw over a belt for precision but am unsure how noisy they are unless I can somehow isolate the cutting head from the traversing platform. Also how noisy are the motors themselves ??

Also, for example, if I get a stepper motor and C-rail setup, what exactly do I need to run the motor and be able to set the speed etc (control card, power source, fuse, software...) ??

Image attached is what I'm using as a rough guide,
    Any guidance is much appreciated,

Cheers

vinyl+record+lathe+broadcast+lane+analog+recording+pittsburh[1].jpg

2. Johnnycatt

Builder

wow.. this seems ambitious for a first build... the motors are not too loud, but I would think ANY noise would be unwelcome in this apparatus...

The motors are pretty quiet compared to other machinery, I cannot hear them over my radio in the shop... I'd say the steppers are about as loud as a microwave oven running...

3. Naboo

Naboo New
    Builder

Yeah, pretty unusual thing to build too but luckily only single axis so hoping I can pull it off haha,

Cheers, that's awesome to know they're that loud before I went and bought one, will definitely have to look at a different sort of motor setup, needs to be practically silent if possible