Welcome to Our Community

Unlock hidden features. Sign Up for Free Today!

Recycling a drill press

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by The Dude, Mar 14, 2014.

1. The Dude

The Dude Veteran
    Builder

So my drill press is mostly obsoleted by my cnc machine. I might use it 1 out of every 365 days each year. So I was looking at recycling the parts. I was thinking the motor would make a good lathe motor. Maybe a CNC lathe for the routy? If not then maybe as a high-torque steel cutter spindle for the OX? Here's the specs:
    IMG_20140314_170638.jpg

Mark Carew likes this.
  2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Resident Builder Builder

@The Dude I like the idea of a lathe motor for the Routy. I think you could make some really great projects with this set up.

3. JustinTime

JustinTime Master
    Builder

I use my drill-press all the time even though I have a CNC machine. Many times I drill parts that have been cut on the CNC machine but I also drill in parts that never saw the CNC.

Use the motor to make a disk sander?

4. The Dude

The Dude Veteran
    Builder

well u know I have a joystick controller for the CNC so it's much easier than the drill press ;)

5. Robert J Rissell

Robert J Rissell Well-Known
    Builder

I've found myself wanting for a horizontal drill periodically. Something along the lines of a rifling lathe.