Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Relay

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by leversole, Dec 14, 2015.

1. leversole

leversole New
    Builder

Has anyone used the spindle control on a tinyG to start and stop your router? I am in search of a relay that will switch 120V with the 3.3V output from the TinyG...if I can get a 10 amp relay, I can add the vacuum system as well!

2. Steve Fox

Steve Fox Well-Known
    Builder

There are plenty of solid state relays around that trigger with 3 to 3.3 volts.
    I bought a 25a one to run my router and vacuum through an Arduino.
    I paid under $5 for it on Ebay.

3. leversole

leversole New
    Builder

I think I found what you are referring to...this looks like it would work...

s-l1600.jpg

4. Steve Fox

Steve Fox Well-Known
    Builder

There are two different ones I found, one comes with a clear cover and the other doesn't.
    I just covered the attachment screws with silicone aquarium cement after I got it mounted and the wires connected.

5. leversole

leversole New
    Builder

6. Fred Quarles

Fred Quarles Well-Known
    Builder

I have and it's a great mod. I used a surplus SSR and later ordered a backup off of Amazon. Any SSR with 3-32VDC input on control side and an AC range that covers your tool will work.
    Attached are 3 photos that show the setup, Picture #1 is the box with SSR, the small cable on the bottom is the signal from the TinyG SPIN pin. The SSR is a surplus unit rated for 24-280 VAC with 3-32 VDC input to control the SSR. Picture #2 shows the TinyG with the connections and the red relay that controls the air solenoid (picture #3) that turns on my mister/air nozzle via the COOL pin on the TinyG.
    To make this work I had to modify the template file that my CAD/CAM software uses to produce the g-code files. I added M3 & M8 at the end of the header section and M5 & M9 just before the M30 in the footer section. I use VCarve from Vectric.com.
    One thing to be aware of , SSR have about 5VAC leakage and it causes the led's on my 611 to glow. I thought it was defective and ordered others before reading that it is normal to leak voltage.

FredQ

Picture #1[​IMG]
    Pisture #2[​IMG]
    Picture #3[​IMG]

7. leversole

leversole New
    Builder

Thanks all I ordered two of the relays like pictured...will post some pics when I get things wired...I cant really tell from the picture, do you pull ground and spindle, or 3.3v and spindle to fire the relay?

8. Fred Quarles

Fred Quarles Well-Known
    Builder

Just wire the input of SSR to ground and the pin labeled SPIN for router power control and to COOL and ground to activate the air relay. In the picture it might be confusing because the red relay is tied to the ground from power to board because it was convenient. Just remember you must use the SPIN and COOL pins as they are controlled by the M Codes...

FredQ

9. leversole

leversole New
    Builder

10. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder