Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Retaining the default size in Sketchup

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by centurian, May 30, 2016.

1. centurian

centurian New
    Builder

Hi
    Trying to use Sketchup and Sketchucam to get the Gcode for my Ox, but I'm having trouble keeping the default size. When I transfer the drawing from Inkscape its 609.6mm wide and 914.4mm long (2' X 3').

But after getting it into Sketchup its 4ft wide and 9ft long. I've tried changing the default dimensions but every time I use Sketchup the sizes change back to feet again.

Its Sketchup 2015.

Any suggestions.

Thanks.

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I take it you are importing a DXF file?
    if so, you have to set the units BEFORE you import, not Sketchup's units, the DXF importers units.

or, just draw it in Sketchup in the first place? click rectangle, click and drag on the XY plane, type 2',3' in the entry box and press enter. exact 2x3 foot rectangle, done
    (no matter what the current units are set to in Sketchup you can override them by adding the ', " or mm modifier when you type the value, the only time this breaks is when you have fractional inches, then it does not always work)

to change the default units for Sketchup you have to select the correct template. For Sketchucam you want either decimal inches or millimeters. I use 'Woodworking - millimeters' but you can use one of the inch templates, though it looks like you will have to change to decimal format since they default to fractional. There must be a way to save it the way you want it, just Google it.