Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Router going off path after plunge

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Coffeedeans, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Coffeedeans

Builder

Hey,

After a wee bit of help. I'm running an Ooznest CNC 1200x1200 and just using Makercam and Universal GCode Sender as my control.

Everything is going great except the router seems to run off course after plunging.
    We're using it to route campervan units so there's a few rounded corners but it seems to tackle them fine all except after the plunge.

I've switched it so the router always cuts on a straight line after the plunge. And I've slowed the plunge and feedrate to see if that'll help but I'm still having a bit of a problem.

Using a 6mm two flute router bit, running the feedrate at 961.9mm/min and 430.9mm/min as the plunge (G wizard said 1061.9 and 530.9) and cutting into 12mm mdf for our practice runs and a 15mm laminated (both sides) mdf and chipboard for the actual product.

I've started running a 1.5mm cut to go through the laminate since it's quite hard then 6mm cuts after that. It just always seems to be on the second path it jerks out a bit then runs a few mm of course.

Any advice on how to remedy this would be amazing.

Thanks in advance!

2. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

the force on the router bit is overpowering the steppers.

a simple fix may be to just avoid plunging and instead using ramping. after all, router bits do not cut well on the ends, they are not drills, though they can drill, they are not good at it. by ramping or using a helical bore to enter the work we can reduce stress, prevent chip loading and prevent chip recutting. all good things.

if your software cannot do that, then you can try a drill cycle. you can do this in 2 ways.
    1 - load a real drill and drill holes at all plunge locations, then load the router bit and do the rest of the cutting.
    2 - use the router bit but make sure all plunge moves are done like drilling, with pecking moves to clear the chips.