Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Routy CNC Router (V-Slot Belt & Pinion)

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Mark Carew, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

:D maybe the table its sitting on.

2. Mark Carew

3. Cuse

Cuse New
    Builder

I just received all the parts for this build! But I'm on this step (see link), and was wondering what screws are used to do this part?

http://gyazo.com/726658039bc6f5cebc2b27435a3a6d93

The ones that come with the wheels are not long enough,

4. Mark Carew

5. Chris Allen

Builder

It think 35mm will fit? (just checked, 35mm is the perfect size) Also, you will need to reuse some of the spare spacers that you replaced with eccentric spacers on the other wheels.

You will also need some 8mm M3s for one of the motors which are not on the parts list.

#95 Chris Allen, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  6. Cuse

Cuse New
    Builder

Thanks for the replies guys. Are there 8mm M3s at the partstore or would I have to go to McMaster or Fastenal for something like that. I didn't see any 8mm, just 10mm and 6mm.

7. Chris Allen

Builder

6mm might work, it would only give you 3mm overlap on the motor (3mm plate thickness). 8mm are easy to get on amazon or ebay in small quantities. Just look for m3 button head hex 8mm. 10mm might also work fine if the motor thread is deep enough

picture of my gantry with 35mm screws (not the ones from the store)

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?res...uthkey=!AC3zRfGo00E81oQ&v=3&ithint=photo,.jpg

#97 Chris Allen, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    Mark Carew likes this.
  8. Robert Hummel

Robert Hummel Custom Builder

Can't wait to get my parts in
    This is going to be a blast :)

Got a great deal on some steppers FREE :D
    They where a little ruff so I gave them the Tinker touch!

Before
    image.jpg

After
    image.jpg

Mark Carew likes this.
  9. Nick Lancaster

Builder

nice refurb on those.

10. Mark Carew

Beautiful, btw that reminds me I have been meaning to ask you what do you use to clean up your aluminum parts?

11. Robert Hummel

After cutting I rinse them in dish soap and use a 800 grit sanding sponge.
    removes oil res and burs left behind.
    I need to get some extrusion so I can build a more square and solid spoil/clamping bed, this way I can achieve better finish cuts.

Mark Carew likes this.
  12. Robert Hummel

Ty :D

13. Mark Carew

Thanks for the info Robert :)

14. brianblocker

Builder

Yes, DO be sure you get 20x40 :)

15. brianblocker

Builder

Also, the parts list seems to be excluding the double t-nuts

16. Bryant

Bryant New
    Builder

Double t-nuts? How many of those do I need. I guess this is what I get for trying to start this project so early :)

I just spent some time disassembling the model to make sure I knew all of the correct lengths for what I want to build. Unless I'm mistaken the model has the following lengths of v-slot

1. 2080 - 400mm x2
    2. 2060 - 750mm x2
    3. 2060 - 412mm
    4. 2040 - 710mm x2
    5. 2040 - 452mm
    6. 2040 - 200mm x2
    7. 2040 - 170mm
    8. 2040 - 88mm

As I want a little more width I figure I need to increase items 1, 3, and 5 by equal amounts (100mm for me).

Finally, the lock collar in the model says it is about 6mm. The store doesn't have any 6mm lock collars. Did you use a 1/4" one in its place? (6.35mm) Seems that would put things out whack a smidge but on such a short run I'm not sure it would matter.

17. Bryant

Bryant New
    Builder

Also, I think I plan to make part 2 out of 2080. Any reason that wouldn't work? Would the motor mount be ok staying where it is and still have enough room to come up without hitting the aluminum spacers?

18. Chris Allen

Builder

Double t nuts at the motor plate joins. I used 2 hole joining plate instead, which works fine and is probably stronger, but you will need longer screws (15mm??) and a separate m5 locking nut.

I would recommend getting different lengths of m5 screws, since they aren't that expensive. just 10 of each, and most of them don't have to be low profile.

I would also recommend getting a locking collar that is an exact match for your screw (6mm or 8mm generally). In the UK at least they tend to be called shaft collars on general hardware sites.

#108 Chris Allen, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  19. Chris Allen

Builder

By part 2 do you mean the rails for the y axis wheels in step 2?

20. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known
    Builder

Dude the parts list is missing all kinds of ****. Maybe you should just build a routy at openbuilds, tear it down and count the parts, then put up the parts list. Whoever volunteered this parts list left off lots of important things and it's impossible to build with the parts list provided. So as a result we all waste our time playing "guess which parts are missing" and then we pay for shipping 15 times which completely negates the whole point of a parts list. So far I'm missing:
    1. M5 screws(there were none in the original parts list)-probably the 8mm kind
    2. about 1.5m of 20x40 v-slot to go under the frame as shown in the window$-only sketchy-up file
    3. A Z-axis. I have no idea how you made this. It looks like there's some kind of bearing and some kind of threaded rod and some kind of collar and then some kind of weird black thing that nobody knows what it is.
    4. Something to hold the belts at the end of the v-slot.

I'm sure there's plenty more missing but this is what I've found so far. I just wasted 3 weeks on this build and it's still a pile of parts sitting on the floor. I kinda feel like I've been duped here.

trigger likes this.
  21. Chris Allen

Builder

volunteer is the key word. Reading the whole thread gives a good indication of the missing parts, and a large number of the parts are commonly available.

22. Mark Carew

You guys are right though even though we appreciate the help on the parts list, we really need to go through the build count all the parts and post our version of the list. We will do this in a few days once we are caught up here with work.

23. TJTrolinger

Builder

Really like the Routy and want to order the stuff and and build it, but Im concerned about all the missing items in the parts list. Looking forward to the new updated list!
    Has anyone modified this to work as a 3D printer too?

24. Bryant

Bryant New
    Builder

I mean the v-slot that is serving as the linear rail for the Y axis, currently made out 750mm of 2060. My only worry is that the plate isn't big enough. The only reason I'm considering it is that eventually I want to run an Ox gantry on the same machine (I'll re-purpose the routy gantry as a laser or 3d printer).

Thanks for this very useful tip. Changing my search from lock collar to shaft collar did the trick.

I'm still finishing up a woodworking project for my wife before I start this build so I've always anticipated that it would take a bit of time. We are just finishing up that project and my 6mm lead screw and nut should be arriving in about a week so I have time to make one more order and then get building. I always take what I estimate a project is going to cost me in time and money and multiply the time by 3 and the $$ by 2 :)

25. Chris Allen

Builder

The way I see it, if you are looking for a ready made kit with nothing to do but follow the instructions then go get a shapeoko.They are cheap and will have all the parts. Openbuilds is better for me because it offers the chance to modify pretty much any part of it to suit yourself. The only things missing from the list that you have to have from openbuilds is the v-slot. Everything else that's missing should be available reasonably locally.

I think it should just fit on the very outermost holes on the gantry plate. But I can't say I've tried it.

#115 Chris Allen, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  26. brianblocker

Builder

It would be good if the components in sketchup had a description / name that matched the part # or name of item in the part store. It does look like you'll need some m5 45mm (maybe 40mm?) screws for the z-axis (the screws that go between the wheels)

I think the GREAT thing is that with so many eyes on this, we're going to end up w/ a REALLY good parts list soon :)

27. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known
    Builder

Where I live, you can get parts at the hardware store but they are outrageously priced. I went in to get the M3x45mm hex screws and they were like "Oh you want metric? Well that doubles the price. Oh you want hex heads and not phillips? Well that quadruples the price". I mean it was like $1 per screw and I needed like 20 screws. The M5x8mm were like $1.50 each and I need like 75. So yeah I just went online and got a box of 100 screws for $9 and then waited 2 weeks for them to ship from China. But see I already went online and ordered everything from openbuilds and waited 2 weeks...

Anyway I was going to get the shapeoko2 at first and then decided on the routy because it is more universal. I can use off-the-shelf parts that are reusable. I can throw my electronics onto a routy because it's universal. I can mount my own custom spindle to it instead of a dremel. It has a bigger build area. I don't want to use an arduino controller that comes with the electronics package. So yeah I have a lot of reasons for going this route. For example, I can double the length from 750mm to 1.5m for about $40 and then move those 750mm rails to the gantry and almost double the width for another $40. I can fab the OX parts for almost free and increase the rigidity and working area. This all comes with a little higher price than the shapeoko and takes more work, yeah I realize that.

So yeah each person is different and don't assume that we all have a cheap hardware store nearby or a windows computer nearby. About the closest and most useful things to me are a junkyard and a recycling plant. The rest is all imported from online orders and shipping is a killer so the parts list is a big deal if you're me.

As you can clearly see from these photos of my neighbors, I live in E.WA which is pretty remote.
    [​IMG]
    And the recycling center
    [​IMG]

#117 The Dude, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    Mark Carew likes this.
  28. Chris Allen

Builder

Well, the m5x8mm are on you, because they are in the parts list.

But whatever, if you are bothered then YOU provide a parts list. It's perfectly easy to do. So far your contributions are all negative.

29. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known
    Builder

They are on the parts list now because of my contribution to the parts list. They were M3x8mm before my negative contribution. Sorry to be so negative and sorry for not noticing they are on the parts list after I got them added/fixed.

30. Cuse

Cuse New
    Builder

I disassembled the SketchUp model and tried to add any parts that were missing to the parts list. I'm missing some of the things and will be ordering soon.

I'm attaching the Excel spreadsheet and was hoping people could add anything I might have missed, so I only have to order once :p Everything I added is highlighted in yellow.

Finally, I ordered 5 packs of the 6mm M5's to do all the bracket and plate attachments to the v slot and realized they are just too short. From anyone that has experience with it, should I get the 8mm or 10mm (I specified 10mm in the updated parts list but not sure about it)

Attached Files: