Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Routy or Ox capable of steel milling?

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by MashX, Apr 14, 2015.

1. MashX

MashX New
    Builder

There are many projects I can envision completing with either of these machines, but one area I'm really interested in is knife making. An engineer friend of mine doesn't think these guys will handle O1 or A2 tool steel (before hardening).

If that's the case, why not? Does it have to do with the spindles, frame, drivers? Are there any upgrades that will allow me to cut harder metals with either the Routy or Ox?

2. Hytech2k

Hytech2k Veteran
    Builder

Your friend is right..... For most of the reasons you stated and few more..... Your better off converting a bridgeport to CNC or buying a Tormach PCNC1100...

I have built the stock Ox and a heavily upgraded version, neither would cut steel.... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news....

Gerald

sgspenceley likes this.
  3. MashX

MashX New
    Builder

Ha, not at all. I give myself the title of "maker". This thing will get a work out. I was just hoping to make it more versatile than it already is.

4. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hello @MashX The forces to cut steel are very hard indeed, however if your inspired to try you can do it the way some knife makers do it by engraving the patterns on steel or even to make the patterns for the knives.
    Check out the post here where Randy is working up some very nice knives using a Phlatprinter! So with a little desire there are more then one way to skin a cat. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Check out all the other cool knives Randy has made
    http://www.phlatforum.com/xenforo/threads/knife-phlatprinter-style.1908/

Now granted I have not made a knife myself but I personally would suggest using a plasma to get the cutouts (blanks) for your knifes. I think that would be much easier to start with, then you may be able to work it from there.
    Edward Siegel had been working on a nice plasma machine you may want to look at could do the task.
    http://openbuilds.com/builds/cnc-plasma-table.1944/

Hope this helps and all the best with your knife making. If you do make some please be sure to share them in the Showcase section.
    Thank you
    Mark

#4 Mark Carew, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    sgspenceley likes this.
  5. MashX

MashX New
    Builder

Thanks for the suggestions, Mark. Would you recommend a plasma cutter over just converting a Mini Mill? I don't need a very large work area, only enough to cut a few blanks at a time.

6. Mark Carew

Your more then welcome @MashX glad to help
    To be honest I cannot recommend a plasma or a mill for this job. However if I was doing it I would use a small plasma as its much less forces on the machine to get roughly the same blank 2D shape your after.
    I do not know the whole process (you may be able to ask Randy) but I would think you would still want a nice little mill for finer detail work once you have the blanks.

BTW I forgot to include the link to Randys knives be sure to check out the others hes made they are art work! (2 pages)
    http://www.phlatforum.com/xenforo/threads/knife-phlatprinter-style.1908/

7. MashX

MashX New
    Builder

Oh, wow. Very nice knives.

I think I'll go the mill route. I can see myself using that for more projects. Plus, you know.... lasers. :nailbite:

But first, gotta get started on this router. Any idea who's still cutting OX plates? I sent a message out to Robert a few days ago, but haven't heard back yet.

8. Mark Carew

9. MashX

MashX New
    Builder

You got it. Thanks for the help, Mark.

Mark Carew likes this.