Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Running Opposing Steppers on a Single Axis

Discussion in 'CNC Mills/Routers' started by Ronald4418, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

I'm presently in the process of constructing my version of an Ooznest CNC Router and I've run into a problem. I need to figure out how to wire two motors for the y-axis. I've learnt that a hex driver placed between one stepper and the common stepper driver for the y-axis. Would this Stepper Bridge work in this instance, L298N Stepper DC Motor Dual H-bridge Driver IC Board Controller Regulator Module. Or am I making too much of this?

2. Steve Fox

Steve Fox Well-Known
    Builder

Just reverse the two wires on one of the coils on the motor.
    That will reverse the motor direction.

3. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

Is it the same with 4, 6 and 8 wire motors?

4. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

Yes for the 4 wire.

For our purposes, 6 wire motors just have a center tap on each winding, which you normally ignore, making it a 4 wire. 8 wire motors just bring out the two halves of a winding separately, normally they are connected in series and the connection is the center tap, making it the same as the 6 wire. Some bipolar stepper drivers use the center tap, but the smaller controllers don't usually use this connection.

A stepper motor is essentially a two phase motor, any 2 or 3 phase motor can be rotationally reversed by reversing the connection of one of the windings.

5. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

Thanks for making this easy for me to understand. When it comes to anything mechanical it is very easy for me to visualize how something is suppose to work. Even though I am a Licensed Computer Technican. Electrical wiring scares the bejeezus out of me, besides the components aren't cheap especially with the faltering of the Canadian Currency.

6. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

No problemo, Ron. I am also in Canada, and just researching the C-Beam Machine build. You are right, it hurts to have to spend $US, and hurts twice as much to buy stuff from the UK at $2CDN/UK lb. Just out of curiosity, what is your control setup in terms of CPU/Drivers/Software?

Darrell

7. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

I'll be using a Toshiba Satelite Pro Laptop running Windows XP with the majority of its services turned off. It runs on an Intel 1.4 GHZ. Processor with 2GB of DDR Ram. I'll also be running Mach3 version 3.4.6 and VCarve version 8, Bmp2CNC, Inkscape and PhotoCarve along with RdWorks when I decide which wavelength of Laser I decide to add. The Toshiba has a functioning Parallel Port as well as USB2 Port. I just purchased a 3 Axis BOB and 3 Stepper Drivers, 36V Power Supply, 5V Buck Stepdown Converter and a set of Micro Limit Switches. If you got to Ebay.ca and type Ox CNC in the search box, you'll find a supplier out of Barrie, Ontario. Be aware though that they are closed until Feb. 15, 2016.

8. Metalguru

Metalguru Veteran
    Builder

What brand/type are your BOB and stepper drivers? I was hoping to use something that runs USB only and doesn't require a parallel port.
    The only guy I found on Ebay.ca with a search for OX CNC was out of the US. None listed from Canada. He sure charges premium prices. A lot of that stuff I can get from the openbuilds store or SMW3D much cheaper even with the currency exchange. He does have some custom stuff that is not available elsewhere, however.
    The parts that that guy sells are suspiciously similar to another guy down in California that I ran across (can't recall his name right now), and it does say all parts are shipped from the US.
    Anyway, I'm still doing research right now, don't plan to spend a lot in the near future. Maybe in a month or so.

Thanks

9. David the swarfer

David the swarfer OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

oh boo hoo, 2:1 huh? try 15 to 1, as in 15 Rand to 1 USD, and no, that does not mean we earn more )-:
    and ~R22 to 1UKP. nope, you ain't got problems :)

10. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

You could go with something such as this Metalguru, Mach3 USB 3 Axis CNC Motion Control Card Breakout Board 400KHz Support Windows 7. Also it works out to around $207.. Canadian.

11. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

Well David, not to rain on your parade. But you have other options such as AliExpress and DHGate which will quote you in whatever currency you like. Also have you tried looking at the many products produced in Australia as shipping should be considerably cheaper for you? I purchase stuff from there occasionally though the shipping is nuts compared to Hong Kong.

12. Ronald4418

Ronald4418 Well-Known
    Builder

I thought of using that setup, though for now I wanted to keep my costs down. At a later date I'll probably step up to Gecko 540's through a USB BOB and a 60V Powers Supply. I had intended on using a Raspberry PI 2B connected to an Arduino. Proved to difficult, though I understand that NVidia has a new self contained computer all on one board that can support Windows in an ESS Drive along with Mach3 or Mach4. And with SD Cards allow the GCode to be introduced to it.