Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Seeking ideas on how to rotate a plate (think lazy susan)

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by PrintHead, Nov 22, 2016.

1. PrintHead

PrintHead Well-Known
    Builder

I am trying to add a way to angle a tool and it would be fantastic if there was some sort of plate which I could rotate on top of another plate using the help of a stepper and worm gear. Not sure if there's a name for this but I'm leaning towards "lazy susan bearing" except with a bit of preload on the bearings and less wiggle.

Has anyone seen such a thing made using OpenBuilds stuff?

2. PrintHead

PrintHead Well-Known
    Builder

The Black Friday sale is almost here and I'm really hopeful there's a way to make this happen. Surely I'm not the only one to want to put something on a hinge :)

3. Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0 OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Rough concept sketches showing sizes and weights would be helpful. The issue here is how you plan to integrate a worm gear as the upper plate is generally attached directly to it where one is used and thus no need for any kind of lazy susan bearing. If you were wanting a belted solution this would be easy, just not following how you plan to integrate the worm gear.

4. PrintHead

PrintHead Well-Known
    Builder

I'm not dead set on it being a worm gear that's just the first thing that came to mind (belts would be fine) I just can't seem to figure out how to make something rotate using the OpenBuilds components. Picture a small palm router mounted using one of the OpenBuilds mounts, except I need to tilt it somehow. There isn't a concept sketch to share because I can't seem to get that far :)