Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Shelf Of OpenBuilds Firsts

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mark Carew, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hello fellow OpenBuilders,
    Wanted to share with you today a couple super cool gifts we received from fellow Builder and friend @Sonny Lowe
    In case you were unaware (little back story) , Sonny and I have been working to complete an OpenBuilds Desktop MiniMill Build that we could bundle and have available on the Parts Store (Coming soon... ;) )
    The MiniMill is based off of a little mill design we blogged about some time ago OpenBuilds Goes Pro! (Concept picture below) where we talked about the new gopro camera view.

Since then, the little machine has undergone lots of changes and is now a working prototype that is surpassing all we thought it would be able to do! Its a really great go-to-machine for small parts and does not take up much desktop space. Its a perfect platform for multiple head mounts like lasers, spindles and 3D printer hot ends.

One of the most recent cuts that Sonny tried was a chunk of carbon fiber recessing the OpenBuilds logo with an end mill and V- bit carving the OpenBuilds lettering. It turned out absolutely great and is an OpenBuilds first so I asked if we could add it to the OpenBuilds firsts shelf and Sonny being the cool dude he is said yes! So he sent it right out to us.
    What I did not expect was another gift enclosed which was an awesome thermos that was custom lasered with the OpenBuilds logo and my name to boot! You Rock Sonny thank you for all of your continued help and for the great gifts for the Shelf of OpenBuilds Firsts!

The OpenBuilds MiniMill will be posted soon for all the community to Build and create with.
    I think you guys will agree that this cut turned out amazing and we can't wait to get this new machine in your hands to see what you can come up with.

OpenBuilds_Sonny_Carbonfiber_gift_1.jpg
    Simply beautiful!

OpenBuilds_Sonny_Carbonfiber_gift_4.jpg
    New carbon cutout fits right in on the OpenBuilds Shelf Of Firsts!

OpenBuilds_Sonny_Carbonfiber_gift_3.jpg
    Fill'er up and keep the coffee flowing!

gopr0117.jpg
    MiniMill Original proof of concept

MaryD, Kyo, GrayUK and 2 others like this.
  2. Giarc

Giarc OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I can't wait to see it. I was thinking of doing a laser engraver next. A friend is printing the 4 jaw chuck for me as I am typing this message.

Hoofy, MaryD and Mark Carew like this.