Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

sketchup library

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by bobt, Dec 19, 2013.

1. bobt

bobt Well-Known
    Builder

Is it possible to get the library of parts that were used to create the sketchup model of routy cnc router. It would help in creating the model of what I want to build. What I want to build is a variation of routy as in his BIG brother.

Bobt

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

Hi Bobt,
    If you look at the top of the build you will see the tabs related to that build. One of the tabs is labeled 'Files' and in there you should find the entire Routy Sketchup file ready to go :)

Capture.JPG

3. bobt

bobt Well-Known
    Builder

Yup I got that and it looks just fine. The problem is exploding it into the individual part so that I can use them to create a much bigger one with a slight variation on the Y-axis build. I also want to build mine out of 20x80 stock so that it will not fall over when I stress it. The other reason for the library is that each item is a separate so that just that specific part can be imported into the new design. I guess my way of designing is to go over to the parts bin and take out the part that I want. Put it in my drawing and then go back for another part. I have not done a lot of CAD work. I just wonder if by doing it this way could the list of items imported be used as a basis for a BOM list?

Bobt

4. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I see what your saying. I could take every part and put them all into one file and that way you could do it this way. I could add it as a resource that way when ever we add new parts we could update it :) I will look into do this

One tip with SketchUp that has helped me though the years that may be of use is that you can open a file say the ROUTY.skp and then you can select the parts you want hit Ctrl-C(or copy) so it save it (them) into memory then you can open your own file and hit Ctrl-V (or paste) and it will bring the parts in. You can also open two instances of SketchUp at the same time and copy and paste between the two of them :)
    Hope this is helpful