Welcome to Our Community

Some features disabled for guests. Register Today.

Sketchup

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by GrayUK, Jun 8, 2014.

1. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

I often see some very good drawings in SketchUp of CNC machines, The Ox being one of them. My query is, do you Guys always make and draw the whole thing from scratch each time, or are there bits and pieces, of pre-made drawings you can call on and adapt? Perhaps even dissecting the Ox for bits and pieces.
    I'm going to need to do some drawings of my own, and although I have used it in the past for designing kitchens and bathrooms, I've never applied it to something as exact and detailed as a CNC machine.

Cheers
    Gray

2. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

I personally use the existing models to get the parts I need for the new model. One cool trick and maybe not well known is that you can open two instances of SU at the same time and select and copy parts from one model open in one window and past them into another model. You can also open a SU model copy it and close SU and reopen an entirely different model and hit past and it will drop the copied model in! :thumbsup: This can be very helpful.
    Hope this helps.
    Mark

3. GrayUK

GrayUK Openbuilds Team Elder
    Staff Member Moderator Builder

Thanks Mark.

That's handy to know. I guess with the resources from all the other guys plans, you can pretty much get all the bits you need. I think I even found a picture of a Kress 1050 and mount somewhere. I just got to remember where!
    Cheers
    Gray

4. Mark Carew

Mark Carew OpenBuilds Team
    Staff Member Moderator Builder Resident Builder

No problem Gray also do forget to check the 3D warehouse for files as well. There are lots of useful items there that can be used.
    You can get there by going to File> 3D warehouse> Get Models
    One day the hope is to take all of the files that OpenBuilds has worked up and set them up as components so that they can be added with their info. The plan is to create a resource with all files in one SketchUp so that as we add more we can update them as well. This is going to take us some time so in the meantime the copy pate works pretty good too.